RGB --> Component (YUV) or this.....

You've then tied your component inputs up, so no progressive DVD player, and your video input, so no VCR either.

Alternatively, using an RGB to Plasma VGA unit to the PC terminal for Sky keeps the component inputs freen, and you still have composite/S-Video for your VCR or other source.

Hit the www button below for some alternative options.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

simanski,
what are the advantages of active converter over the passive one?

has anyone compared passive QED converter vs JS-tech. How much of a difference there was? (marks out of 10 through scart only, then through passive converter and through JS-tech)

Actually the VCR bit is not so! Using this cable will allow composite to pass through the sky box. However, it almost prevents the connection of a DVD player, cos the only usable connection left to you is VGA, the RGB-CGA box is what you'd need. So you might as well use it for sky, get a decent DVD, and if you have a video, you have composite or S vid left. Whilst you can get good results with the QED cable, it's of little practical use for HC with the Panny, cos of that shared video connection.

deman77

01.Active vs. Passive:
QED dont do a passive RGB converter - they do have the Q-SYNC* RGB Sync extractor cable as an 'alternative' to Johns RGB2VGA design.

(*The Q-SYNC has a small external plug in 12v power supply.)

02. SCART RGB to Plasma RGB+Composite:
You can use a 'passive' SCART RGB to 4BNC or 4RCA cable for RGB+Composite sync - though not all displays will work with this signal type.

Employing this method means you have to suffer the vagaries of Digibox output voltages - which can vary greatly from unit to unit and design to design; the JS Converters are very good at stabilising a less than healthy signal.

03. QED AV19 + PWD5:
You can use the QED AV19 with your display (you need to ensure you set the display to input RGB + SYNC on Video) - though that then means your BNC or RCA sockets PLUS you Composite/S-Video sockets are effectively taken up for one video input.

04. JS Converters
Having tried (and had customers try) pretty much all of the RGB converters and RGB interface solutions on the market I can say that the JS converters always come out on top as far as picture quality and the ability to work in most systems; and Dr John is always on hand to help out when things are not working out as expected.

Without knowing the rest of your system or future plans its difficult to say what will be the best long tern solution for your Digibox to Plasma connectivity - though I'll wager that a JS Technology RGB2VGA or RGB2YUV converter plus decent video cables will be the solution.

Best regards

Joe

I think Jon Weaver(Don't know if he still frequents these forums) tried one of these, if it is the same cable then he will be able to tell you why he went from this to one of the JS Tech convertor boxes.

Maybe try PM'ing him.

Jon Weaver opted for our RGB to Plasma VGA unit because he was having difficulties with another product, but I don't it's fair to say which one. He's not unique either, we've had several customers who after trying the alternatives, have come to us. Not just for RGB to Plasma VGA solutions either.

You've really got to understand my point of view when it comes to electronic design. If you're spending several thousand on a system, you want the best. That's why I design the products to such a high quality. Secondly, it's got my name on the box. And that means a lot to me. Like everybody here, I like my A/V, so I'm not going to compromise my system!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom