1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rgb-component or rgb-vga

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by whistlingDogg, Oct 31, 2002.

1. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    which would be the best connection to my 433mxe plasma from my panasonic digibox. Should I get the rgb-component converter from JS or teh rgb-vga. I would prefer the rgb-vga but which would produce the best picture?

2. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Whistlingdogg,

From symanski's various posts it sounds like there's very, very little between VGA and component. If you go for the component converter, you can switch both audio and video through your amp - sounds like a good option to me, but maybe you have a pronto or equivalent so this convenience isn't important?

I've never wanted to block the VGA input as I like to have it free for the PC.

Cheers,
    Phil

3. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I do have a pronto so I could go that way. My denon amp only have 2 component inputs and I wanted to use them for my xbox and dvd player.

If i use the vga input will it block the dvi input?

4. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't tried DVI myself, so can't say for sure, but I haven't read anything about any inputs being blocked by other inputs on the Pioneer (unlike the old Panny s-video lock). It might be worth a post on AVSforum as I think quite a few of the 503CMX owners over there use DVI-in for their PCs or sat boxes.

As for switching 3 component inputs, I think some high-end AV amps may have this, but agreed, it doesn't sound like an option for you at this time.

5. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May not really help a lot, but reading this...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183209&highlight=pioneer+card

...it seems you can feed a component signal straight into the VGA port using a 3 RCA - VGA cable.

So for example, you could put your DVD to your Denon, your digibox via an RGB to Component to your Denon and your XBox to the VGA port via component.... or loads of other combinations.

But ultimately if you're going to use the VGA port anyway and the RGB -> VGA converter is slightly better than the component one AND its cheaper, that makes most sense!

Phil