1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB-Component Conversion worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RayB, Sep 3, 2005.

1. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently my PV500 is fed via component for DVD (Arcam DV89 has no HDMI output), Sky+ via RGB Scart and DVD recorder (DMRES10) via RGB Scart.

I am using Nordost Optix component cable and IXOS scart leads.

I am considering using my HK AVR8500 Reciever to handle switching all inputs via component and would purchase a JS converter to handle the Sky+ conversion to component. (The Reciever has enough inputs to handle this)

So, I have 2 questions:

1. Would the DVD PQ degrade by routing through Reciever rather than direct to display as currently set up :confused:

2. Would the Sky+ picture improve/decline/remain pretty much the same by coverting RGB to component with the JS converter :confused:

In other words, I would gain on convenience but don't want to degrade PQ on DVD or Sky

Cheers

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    1. No

2. Remain the same.

In other words......By adding the JS converter you would be able to use your amp to do the switching, so it would be convenient but nothing more.

3. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Gizlaroc,

I thought this might be the case, a fair few quid for convenience only :eek:

Just another thought, does the PV500 "prefer" a component feed to a scart RGB feed as this may have a bearing on PQ as well

4. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I'm getting much better PQ via RGB Scart than via component with my Toshiba SD-230E -- but that might be the player's fault! (or the component cable's :rolleyes: ) But I have also read reviews of the PV500 that praised the PQ via RGB.

5. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers expat, I am sure any given panel/Tv will perform better on some inputs than others, I'm sure I have seen some threads along these lines in the past :confused:

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Yeah, my old Philips TV used to love S-video, but it used to convert even RGB to S so you could use Colour and contrast before going back to RGB for the tube. So as long as the player had a good S output it used to look better than RGB.