1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB compared to Component Video

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bristol Pete, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I realise that there is a difference.

However, is it that noticable? I undetstand that component takes the picture from the disk (colour stream??) and results in a better picture.

However, is there really that much difference between the two?

Also, is it true that component improves region 1 pictures but can degrade a region 2 pic . ( I do not have prog scan).

Finally should I let a set with component video in sway my purchase.

Thanks,

Captain Benefit.

2. wanchaiman

wanchaiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here in Asia-Pacific component inputs are the norm. We don't have SCART or RGB (apart from a few Philips sets imported from Belgium).

And all the DVD players here (again, except for a couple of Philips machines) only have component out.

As far as I know RGB is just as good as Component to the naked eye.

The "order or merit" (best first) is :

Component/RGB >> S-Video >> Composite

Go for progressive inputs though as this is where you WILL see a difference.

Wouldn't it be nice to take the digital stream directly from the DVD player and plug it into a digital input on the back of the telly? Of course, DVD manufacturers dont think this is a very good idea at all. However China is manufacturing multi-region (Code free - not locked / nobbled) DVD players without macrovision installed and VGA outputs ... mmm:) Have a look for "Skyworth" on the net. The picture quality is astounding......