1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB colour adjustment problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Withnail, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Withnail

Withnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is probably a really stupid question but...
    I have standard SKY+ box connected to a Panasonic TX-W28R4DP via an E55 dvd recorder.
    I've heard that RGB is a much better picture compared to normal video so I set the Sky box to output RGB, set the E55 to RGB and conected to the RGB chanel on the TV (AV1).
    Sure enough the picture did look more defined, but I am unable to adjust the colour on the TV.
    I can adjust the brightness but not the colour.

Anyone got any ideas on this?
    ta :thumbsup:
    WN

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    completely normal.

3. Withnail

Withnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mr D,
    Is there anyway of adjusting the colour in RGB mode as currently its a bit over the top.
    The other thing is that it stretches 4:3 pictures rather than popping them between two black bars (Video mode detects 4:3 but RGB doesn't seem to).

Is RGB actually better? I want to archive some stuff from sky+ in high quality but I don't know wether to use RGB since it seems more restrictive.
    ta

4. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,132
    Hello,

if you post this question in the sky+ section, you will better feedback from the tech guys.

rai

5. Withnail

Withnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Rai,
    Thanks

6. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The panny PW7 plasma cannot adjust colour in RGB mode. Sounds like this screen might be the same. The solution is either live with it or buy a RGB to component converter as the PW7 can adjust colour for component sources. That might be your only solution here too (if you have component inputs).

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    RGB will be yuor best bet from SKY all things being equal. . With an RGB signal saturation ( colour) should be pretty accurate so you shouldn't have to adjust it. Try running a test disc into it (DVE for example and check the colour bars). I've heard of older sets that exhibited a washed out picture but never one that was over saturated especially a panasonic. I have an older panny TX32PK1 which is great with RGB . With RGB 4x3 is fine in fact I lose the just mode ...exact reverse of your situation. (does say this in the manual)

8. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The whole reason to put a colour knob on a TV is so that people can adjust to suit their tastes. Plus whatever way the signal is processed there will be errors in the chain that you'll want to be able to correct for. And most processing handles luminance separate to colour so there will be colour errors.

I'm not sure what you expect DVE disk to do. Yes you could set up RGB levels to be correct at white and black but that doesn't help if you feel the colours are too strong. Only a colour knob can adjust that.

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    Well hey Malc maybe he can check some colour bars on DVE. Maybe he'll find the saturation is not that badly off. It hasn't been on all the panasonic sets I've checked with a variety of dvd players over the years.

Failing that as you seem to be the resident knob expert round here maybe you could whip one up for him.