RGB but no scart

J

jkapa

I´ve been reading Hitachi PJ-TX10´s specs and it´s stated that it has RGB but no scart.

What does this mean?

Here´s a pic.

PJTX10_Connexions.jpg

Its reffering to both the computer input and the component inputs. The RGB colours are separated on both of these!

RGB is not only a scart allocation. Infact you will probably get a better picture using the component lead rather than a RGB scart lead. However this will largely depend in what your other equipment is out putting!

But if my DVD outputs RGB scart then I´d have to use a cable that had scart on one end and RGB components on the other.

Right?

J

Originally posted by jkapa
But if my DVD outputs RGB scart then I´d have to use a cable that had scart on one end and RGB components on the other.

Right?

J

Unfortunately not. RGB in scart (RGB Component - red, green and blue) is a different kind of signal to component video (YUV Component - Luminance, Red Chrominance and Blue Chrominance). The quality is essentially the same, but the two require relatively expensive conversion (search JS Technology RGB to YUV) to communicate with each other. If your DVD player doesn't have component outputs (Red, Green and Blue coloured phonos) then it will probably be more economical to buy a new DVD player if you want component connection. Otherwise run yourself an s-video connection from your DVD.

HTH

I'm thinking of getting the Hitachi PJ-TX100 (similar but higher res. contrast and brighter) as it's the only affordable projector that suits my room/throw distance.

I would want to connect my Toshiba DVD (component) and my Tivo (RGB SCART) and my Playstation2 (RGB SCART) to the TV and the projector - all at the same time!

I need a box that will take inputs
TIVO - RGB SCART (no component or s-video)
Playstation - RGB input (or component or s-video)
DVD - component (or RGB SCART)

and output
Component (projector)
RGB SCART (TV)

I don't need the DVD component converted to RGB SCART for the TV as it's daisy chained through the Tivo via SCART and the component outputs are separate.

I'd like to minimise the number of long leads running around the room but I could go for one set of component leads for DVD and a convertor and lead to feed the VGA input if that makes more sense.

Worst case is component for DVD, RGB SCART>VGA for Tivo and a long S-Video lead for PS2 but I'd still need to split the SCART and S-video for the TV.

Any suggestions would be VERY welcome!

I don't know much about TiVO but are there any problems when recording etc if you daisy chain the PS2 through the TiVO?? Also, will the DVD player output RGB Scart AND Component at the same time (if it's Tosh then I don't think so). So possibly worth doing everything RGB. So one approach uses a Quintro+ scart switcher:

DVD - RGB Scart - Quintro+
TiVO - RGB Scart - Quintro+
PS2 - RGB Scart - Quintro+

Quintro+ - RGB Scart - Scart 1 in 2 out box (Distribution Amp or DA)

DA - RGB Scart - TV
DA - RGB Scart - RGB - YUV converter

Converter - component - projector!!!

If the projector takes RGB scart through it's VGA port, then you won't need the YUV converter and compromising a little:

DVD - YUV to projector, SVHS to TV (most movies are watched on PJ!)

PS2 - RGB scart into TiVO

TiVO - RGB scart into scart DA

Scart DA to TV and second output to projector.

If you have an AV amp with video switching there are other ways too...

HTH

Thanks Liam (again :) ) and for the benefit of jkapa whos thread I'm hijacking

http://www.hitachiserviceeu.com/support/guides/userguides.htm

Looking at page 2 of the user guide for the TX10 here it suggests that the projector will accept RGB SCART inputs into the component inouts with an additional composite input (presumably for synch). They've also connected analogue audio but I wouldn't imagine we would :)

That would make life a lot easier for me as all I would need would be a SCART splitter at the back of the TV and use the current set up for Tivo and DVD. I have an old 15m S-Video lead I could use for the PS2 - I suspect that isn't going to see a lot of action anyway though Wip3out at this size would be quite a trip!

Liam - do you have plans to stock the PJ-TX100 and an idea when they'll be in stock?

Yes we will be offering the TX100 once we know when Hitachi are expecting to release it (nothing confirmed yet unfortunately - should be about a month)

Excellent - I assume your pricing will be comparable to Nexnix and ivojo at a smidge over a grand?
Any chance of a dead pixel check/guarantee :)

It also appears that the TX10 can take component video through it's PC port too offering two connections - perhaps...

Sounds good (and you assume correctly). DVD can have component via VGA, and TiVO RGBs using YUV + Composite RCA's. Then pick and choose what you want to do with PS2....

Originally posted by AMc
Thanks Liam (again :) ) and for the benefit of jkapa whos thread I'm hijacking

http://www.hitachiserviceeu.com/support/guides/userguides.htm

Looking at page 2 of the user guide for the TX10 here it suggests that the projector will accept RGB SCART inputs into the component inouts with an additional composite input (presumably for synch). They've also connected analogue audio but I wouldn't imagine we would :)

I can confirm this. I have a TX10. I use an adapter for my DVD player (SCART -> 4 phono -- RGB + composite for sync). The adapter is £8 from Lektropacks.

JohnK

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom