1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB better with SCART or S-Video connectors?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by NaTT, May 28, 2003.

1. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    First post, but don't feel like a newbie, searches have usually meant I've never had to.....

I've gathered that RGB is better transmission format(?) for piccies than say composite or s-video.

My DVD picture goes to my Amp in RGB format (set on dvd player settings) on an "s-video" type cable. It goes onto the TV on a cable that's got an s-video connector on one end and a scart connector on the other. The TV is set to recieve it in RGB.

But I've become confused. Is s-video a format or a type of connection and could I improve things using scart connectors?

My NTL box feeds the other scart socket on my TV in RGB format.

Thanks.

Kit. DVD=Pioneer DV-717, TV=Basic old Sony trinitron 32", AMP= Yamaha A2, STB=NTL digital - Pace 2000

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How you've connected it WON'T be RGB. It'll just be S-Video via the SCART connector.

Only way you can get RGB is a single fully-wired SCART cable from the DVD straight into AV1 (RGB input) on your TV.

3. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Nathan,

that was quick! Thanks. So s-video connector any where in the set-up removes the ability to transmit RGB? Doh!

I suspect my amp doesn't have scart through put, so on screen setup of the amp might have to mean a swap of connectors. This is rare so no problemo really.

Goodie! I get to buy a new posh lead.

(I've never Trucked, is it good?)

Regards,

Nathan.

4. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    ooh, one other thing.....

SO even though DVD thinks it's sending RGB and TV is told to receive it, the TV is in fact getting what? s-video?

naughty

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, if you want RGB for Digibox & DVD player you'll need to stick to fully wired SCART cables, and not drop down to S-Video.

You could use the inputs on the AV amp for S-Video & Composite devices (VCR,Camcorder) and go direct to the TV for higher quality devices (DVD,PSX, Digibox)

Depends what DVD player you've got. My Sony outputs all outputs at the same time- Composite, S-Video & Component. There is no option to enable or disable outputs.

If you select AV from the SCART socket on the DVD & TV you'll get composite video (it'll look shimmery) change over to RGB on both and it'll much much sharper with no shimmering.

6. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Natt,

RGB is only via scart to AV1 on TV. Just run a scart from the DVD player into the TV. Sound can be run eitheir thru the TV or if you have Surround Sound through your amp via coaxial or an optical lead. Make sure the DVD and the NTL box are both set on RGB. I presume you can run the NTL thru the DVD player. Posh scart? Thor, QED, IXOS etc are available for brilliant prices on ebay. I you are not running sound thru coax or opt make sure the scart is audio as well as video. Some expensive ones are video only.
    I may be wrong but I think running DVD thru your amp(?) is a red herring as far as the picture is concerned.

7. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks for the responses.

But it's worse via direct scart-scart!?
    Didn't change any settings on DVD or TV, so they still thought they were dealing with RGB.
    I used a pretty decent fuly wired SCART. Checked the conenctions. Even turned off my Wireless router to eliminate RF.

But the picture was no better and there was a shadow on all crisp lines?! So what gives? Running s-video throuh my amp then s-video-scart to my TV actually gives a better picture than straight scart.

Is it 'cause it only works on AV1? If so I'll stay as I am, cause the DVD looks pretty good "as is" and NTL looks heaps better through RGB (even passing through a video player).

Sound always goes through the Amp. It's a bute. The TV's sound is never on.
    So as for the "posh" SCARTs that don't have any sound passed through them, good for me, but are they worth it?

8. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    how do shodows appear on a picture when using direct scart?