1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB and Component and VGA

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by milanlad, Feb 19, 2005.

1. milanlad

milanlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello

Could some explain what is the main difference between Scart/RGB and Component Video?

Is there any significant difference in quality?

If my SKY+ or DVD player outputs RGB through the scart, and my TV has inputs for RGB/Scart, Component Inputs, and a PC-VGA Input, should I:

a) use the scart/RGB,

b) use a RGB to Component cable or converter if needed,

or

c) use a RGB to VGA converter

Thanks in advance

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    RGB, as its' name implies, carries colour information discretely for each primary colour, Component (aka. YCbCr) carries it in a different way (not sure I really understand it, but it I think the RGB values are derived in the display from sums and differences of the 3 signals).

Effectively they're the produce equal picture quality, one's choice is driven by connection available rather than one being inherently better.

So, to answer your question: using SCART->SCART is easiest and won't be bettered by any other method.

I think there is one important difference between RGB and component, I believe DVD players capable of 'progressive scan' (aka. de-interlacing) usually only output progressive signals via component .. but I don't think that's an issue for you here though.