1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RG6U cable problems at high frequencies (>150MHz)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by fumbry, Jul 27, 2004.

1. fumbry

fumbry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post a question like this one. So, I got a TV and I figured I will need about 20 meters of coax cable to connect it to the cable outlet. I get an RG6U 75 ohm cable, I put on the connectors, cut myself in the process, connect the cable at both ends, and do auto search on the TV. As the TV scans the frequency range, I see that above about 150 MHz the signal is getting increasingly worse (more and more static), so much so that above about 300 MHz the TV gets no more signal at all. But normal channels are being broadcast at those frequencies which should show just nicely.

What am I doing wrong? Is it possible that I didn't connect the connectors properly? I'm not a hardware type really so perhaps this is a possibility. But below 150 MHz, the few channels available below that frequency display perfectly.

Is it possible I overstretched the cable? I stretched it hard manually while laying it to make it straight, could this have ruined the cable? By working fast I also accidentally tied a knot in the cable here and there, could that be causing my problems too?

Reading the various specs it seems like RG6U should be perfectly alright for my intended use, I think...

So what do you think I am likely doing wrong?

Best regards,

denis

2. fumbry

fumbry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hm.. no comments? :(

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's a bit of a guessing game but here a few things I could think of:

Maybe you damaged the cable or created a poor connection, have a knowledgable friend to check it.
    Or perhaps the signal in your area is too weak; RG6U does have a high antenuation, thus adding additional loss.
    It's also possible that the pre-installed cable going to the outlet contributes to the problem, or perhaps there are some hidden splitters that degrade the signal.

Make a short lead (~2m) and move the TV temporarily closer to the outlet for testing.
    You can also use a VCR as TV tuner to see how it compares.

BTW: is this an analog TV broadcast or DVB-T you are trying to receive?

4. fumbry

fumbry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Reiner,

I've been thinking of doing the checks you described. The problem is the TV is enormous and somewhat difficult to move closer by a single person without fear of dropping it. :)

Thanks for the tips, especially the high attenuation comment for RG6U.

This is for an analogue cable signal.

denis