RF2 pic worse with amplifier

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by marky2027, Dec 21, 2011.

1. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bought all my kit to extend Sky to another bedroom. Thing is picture looks worse with amplifier connected :(

Current setup RF2 out==Bedroom==magic eye==2nd TV. Picture looks OK.

New setup RF2 out==F140 amplifier==split to 2 TVs via magic eyes== Picture worse on both TVs despite amplifier

Would changing the rf channel improve things or is it just the amp is bust? Should I need to change the RF number after adding the amp??

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    The way to find out about the channel number is to try it!
    If you're also sending terrestrial TV check what channels it uses and try values as far from those as possible.
    If not, the default 68 should be OK but there's no harm in trying other values.
    On the other hand it's likely that there's a fault somewhere in the wiring and plugs so check those too.

3. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    RF was set to 44. Slightly better at 43 but still not great with the amp connected. Once I disconnect the amp and connect the coax directly into magic eye the picture is much better. I've checked all the connections so by a process of elimination i would think it was the amplifier/splitter. Could the amp be producing interference because it is too close to the TV. It's not installed properly in the loft yet as I was just trying it next to TV in bedroom?

Also just thought on....got a passive splitter on the back of sky box RF2out already. Had to add extra magic eye downstairs due to infra red interference from TV and can't do without this

4. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Did you check the amplifier you bought is ok with the power the Sky box feeds down the RF lead for the magic eye?
    I suspect newer ones mostly are but certainly older amps were never made with the expectation of there being a line voltage of (is it 12v?) on the rf cable. In some cases the voltage didn't pass through or even damaged the amp.

That said there are also limits to amplifiying a signal, it may make it stronger but it can also make it worse quality wise.

Try 68 for the RF channel, there may well be broadcast on/near 44 and the amp will also be amplifying that increasing any interference.

5. Johnbyte

Johnbyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I wonder if your Sky box can't provide the current required via its RF2 output to power the F140 and all the magic eyes?

6. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    All the info I read about this amplifier
    GLOBAL F140 4 WAY TV LINK AMPLIFIER FOR MAGIC EYES | eBay seemed to be ok and it should work.

That was my thought with the passive splitter on the back of the box. There's no other way of running extra magic eye from sky box other thans RF2 is there??

7. Johnbyte

Johnbyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Possibly, though I've no practical experience: I believe you can get a power 'inserter' which will allow you to insert mains transformer derived current into the RF cable - try Satcure. Alternatively, try a mains powered splitter/amp to reduce the demand on the Sky box.

8. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah I have just been looking at these on the net. I could insert DC power supply from behind the TV before the cable runs upstairs. It's just the trial and error of it all!!! Possibly worth sending the amp back and exchanging it just to rule out any problems with it.

9. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,318
    You have fitted an amp when what you needed was a unity gain or even a passive splitter.

TV signals and in fact all RF is funny stuff. Boosting the signal can overload the input stage on the TVs, causing them to become less selective (They pick up signals from adjacent channels and in extreme cases actually re-radiate the signal with a slight phase shift, causing ghosting and instability) and hence, the picture gets worse.

Try a passive splitter - £1 or so and see if this works. It might mess up the magic eye, but I would think not.

10. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With already having a passive splitter downstairs I thought another one upstairs would weaken the signal too much

11. HD sceptic

HD sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    the things with amps is
    small dodgy signal in=big dodgy signal out

it may cost a bit more, but try
    ................................amp1====tv1
    rf2====y splitter===
    ................................amp2====tv2

and if you need magic eyes try them before and after the the amp stages

12. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah. Thought I had this job all boxed off but looks like a few work arounds and trial and error needed. Just ordered another splitter. Will b after Xmas now though......bah humbug!!

13. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Any local shop or store should have those, rather than having to buy by post.
    I'd simply use RF2 without any amplfying or splitting for one extension TV with "magic eye", and RF1 Out for the other -with a wireless IR extender for its remote control if that matters enough.

14. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can I use rf1 for the other TV?? What goes to the main TV in place of this coax? That would involve running two lengths of cable outside house and through loft though. How do wireless IR extenders work? Please excuse my ignorance

15. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Now you have posted details of the amplifier it's clear you should be ok as regards use of magic eyes, passing of power. But you might want to try the power inserter, odd name but I guess it goes inline with the RF rather than through a dedicated connector. Trying to run multiple magic eyes and the amp off just the power the sky box expected to run just one could well be the problem.

That or as I suggested and someone else explained even better the amp may not be required or the best solution. If everything works off just a passive split then adding the amp is just draining power and amplifying noise and interference and making things worse.

16. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well here's an update. Tried passive splitter upstairs and VOILA! Picture is 100% improved and magic eyes on both TVs work. Thing is I only have one splitter and not sure if it will be as good once I put the original one back on the sky box. Ordered splitter off eBay last night but impatient now. Want to know if it will still work ok with 2 of them fitted inline. Might have to drag the kids round the electrical shops today!!

17. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Do you need RF1 to Main TV for passing Freeview through to it?
    If so you could use a simple splitter on that as well.
    The idea doesn't need any new cabling does it?
    Extenders take the IR control into one unit and send it by wireless to the second which sends IR to the device.

18. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes we need freeview as on an evening kids go upstairs to watch their rubbish on sky and my wife watches her rubbish soaps downstairs!
    Further update (bearing in mind this is all a dry run until new year when my mate appears with his ladders but).......rf2 out ---amplifier installed behind tv----2nd magic eye for downstairs running off amp-----coax cable to bedroom from amp----metal splitter-----magic eye to 2 TVs------retuned RF to 69-----success. Everything works :)