1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rf2 link not working after mce rollup 1 update

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by fallwood, Aug 27, 2005.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Since i installed the rollup 1 mce update my rf2 link doesnt function correctly, it still changes channels ok but mce wont recorrd anything as it states that there was a tuner problem and no other tuner was available. Tried to set up the tv tuner again but it wont find the rf2 link when its plugged in, if i plug the ir blaster back in it finds it ok , if i then plug the rf2 link back in i get the tuner error when i press record or try to schedule a recording. Have microsoft removed something to stop the rf2 link working , i thought the update was supposed to improve ir controll not fudge it up.

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Thank goodness someone else has the same problem. I have had this ever since I bought the rf2link last April. I complained to Pacelink who said basically that nobody else had complained. Thinking that it was a problem unique to my system I gave up on the gizmo until I just installed a brand new MCE system last weekend & decided to try again. After much frustration I have the same problem. The rf2link is not recognised in TV setup & if you set up with the IR bug & swap over then recording fails.

The problem is with the rf2link so I shall contact Pacelink again & suggest that you do the same. I bought 3 of the blessed things so would either like ones that work or at least my money back.

3. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
  4. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've emailed pacelink so just have to wait and see what they say, it definitely worked before the latest rollup update cos I've been using it instead of my sky+ box to record all my tv shows, could be coincidence as I only noticed that it hadn't been recording a few days ago , seeing as yours has never worked I think its more likely to be a hardware problem than software. We should both email stating that we are aware of other people with the same problem, seems there are a few out there. I'll let you know what they say when they reply.

5. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Just had an email from Gordon at Pacelink asking me to send them my IR blaster & fr2link so they can find out what's wrong & get it sorted. The average person would probably complain that this would mean not being able to use MCE if their IR blaster has been sent away. Luckily for me I have three of them (& 3 remotes) so can easily send one back as none of them work.

Fallwwod,
    Do you have the original MCE 2004 IR blaster with just one socket for the IR bug (or rf2link) or the newer MCE 2005 one that has two sockets.

6. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I also got the same email yesterday, as ive only got the 1 mce remote it will mean I cant use my mce pc while its away(could buy another as there only 20 quid), ive got the newer mce 2005 version with the 2 ir jacks. Can you let me know what they say if you send one of yours back, dont really want to send it back at the mo as the missus is using it a lot to watch some old tv shows I put on for her. If it turns out to be the rflink then i can just send that back and still be able to use the system.

7. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    The only oher variable in the system that I can see is the particular model of digibox. I have a Panasonic TU-DSB30.

8. Mr Hat

Mr Hat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think Microsoft have done anything to muck up the IR stuff as my SkyEye still works fine after the Rollup 1 update.

9. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Interesting. I don't think the problem is caused by Rollup 1 IR update as the SkyEye has never worked for me & I first tried it last April.

What model of Digibox do you have?

10. Mr Hat

Mr Hat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Panasonic TU-DSB20.

The SkyEye MCe has only been available since June this year though so I don't think it could have been the SkyEye MCe that you used last April. Perhaps you tried a different non MCE version?

11. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Sorry I have confused everybody myself included.

Fallwood & I have the rf2link from www.pacelink.co.uk The SkyEye is a similar but different product from www.skyeye.force9.co.uk I have seen no reports of problems with this device & have had a mail from them saying that they know of no problem with their device.

12. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Reinstalled my mce pc with pre rollup1 ghost backup and the rf2link now works ok, finds it straight away in the tv config setup ,wouldn't even recognize it before. Wonder what microsoft have done, i notice the button to change ir port has gone after the update, needed to double click on this a few times to get the rflink to be recognized.

13. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I can now confirm that the ehome ir transmitter update KB888795 is definately what caused my rflink to stop working properly, I have installed and uninstalled the update several times just to confirm. Hitting the record button and scheduled recording works fine now I have removed the update and the rflink is recognised in the tv setup, anyone know if this update is actually needed for anything else as my system seems to be running fine without it, trusty old microsoft manage to fudge it up again.

14. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just another quick update, was on the phone to pacelink about the problem with the ehome update , he suggested getting a 2 into 1 jack adaptor so that the rf2link and the mce wands could be plugged in at the same time , tried it and it seems to work ok, i can now install the latest update and still use my rf2link, hooooray !!.

15. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Great idea. I will give it a try as I haven't got around to returning my rf2link yet. Of course you probably don't want to stick the MCE IR bug on the digibox or indeed let any IR signal spill over but should rely on the rf2link.

16. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just stuck some electrical tape over the blasters and shoved them right under the box, at least I can order my mce keyboard now as it doesnt work without the update.

17. bern3

bern3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm the guy from the XPMCE forum having problems with my RF2link.

I tried the 2-1 mono adapter fix, but it's not working for me :(
    If I connect the RF2Link on it's own to the adapter, it works (well.... it changes the channel...)
    If I connect the IR blaster to the adapter at the same time, it stops working :mad:
    The IR blaster still flashes, but the channel doesn't change.

I'm guessing that my MCE IR receiver isn't putting out enough voltage / current to drive both the RF2link and IR blaster at the same time.

Fallwood - Which MCE remote / receiver are you using ?
    Is it the Microsoft one (has Microsoft on written on the IR receiver, and comes with 2 IR blaster cords), or the Philips one (no writing on the IR receiver, 1 IR blaster cord) ?

Nigelbb - Any joy from Pacelink yet?

18. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mine is the microsoft version, I just set mine up with only the blaster plugged in and then added the rf2link later, still working fine for me. Built a new mce machine for a friend at the weekend and his rf2link worked fine even after all the updates had been installed, very strange.

19. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    I'm afraid that I haven't even got around to packing them up & sending them back yet. I might give it another try after I have installed Rollup 2 & the update to Rollup 2 & see if that makes any difference.

20. bern3

bern3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally, it works!!!! :) :) :) :clap:

I went out and got myself one of the Microsoft MCE remotes and receivers yesterday to replace the Philips remote / receiver I got from the US several months ago.

Unplugged the old receiver, plugged in the new one, hooked up the RF2Link and.... couldn't change channels! Great start....
    Swapped the RF2Link for an IR blaster, and that didn't work either :mad:

In the end I had to uninstall the eHome receiver from device manager, and run a "Scan for hardware changes".
    After that, it worked perfectly. I'm able to change channels and set scheduled recordings (which actually record!) without an issue.
    I don't even need the 2-1 mono adapter to have the IR blaster connected at the same time.