1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RF2 damage update + further questions

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Scapegoat, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    An update to my previous problem of a damaged RF unit.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255584

Found a local company that would fit a replacement RF modulator (lower cost than Sky and they picked it up from my work and returned it during the day - good service).

Got the box re-fitted last night and the RF2 outlet now has a pin and sends a signal to the other 2 TVs. However the picture on the other two sets is still poor (fuzzy) and the eyelink does not work.

The wire from the RF2 outlet runs about 15-20m before connecting to a splitter/booster box (powered by the RF2 outlet) and then one TV is 1 metre away and the 2nd about 3-4m. The light on the booster box is not lit. Therefore I assume that the fuzzy picture is a result of no booster box and the length of cable (I get the same picture if I connect the cabling to the RF1 outlet).

If I plug the Sky link directly into the back of the Sky+ box the LED lights up.
    The booster box and cabling were only installed 3 weeks ago themselves (by a local firm).

As I have two potential firms to go back to about, I thought it might be useful to categoricaly (if possible) workout which one is at fault. So questions that I would appreciate help on:

1) Is the fuzzy picture purely a result of the length of cable? What lengths of RF outlet cable do other people have?

2) Could the RF2 outlet repair be suspect? Is it possible it only generates enough power to run the eyelink directly out the back of the SKy box, but now enough to power the booster box?

3) Any suggestions on things to try out (the connections to/from the booster box are like those that connect the LNB to the Sky box - so I cannot unplug the booster box and connect the cabling direct to the 2nd TV).

Finally, the cabling and booster box did work fine when first installed for about a day. To aid the installation I moved all the AV kit out to give him room to drill etc., so the following day I moved it all back and hamfistedly damaged the RF2 port starting this problem....

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A few possibilities:

The co-axial cable from the box to the booster has a short-circuit. Maybe a strand of the outer sheath wrapped around the centre core ?

It's possible that the booster is taking more current than the Sky box can provide. Is there an option to feed it with power from a different supply ?

You have a badly fitted connector on the cable between the Sky box and the booster, which is not passing the current for the booster up the cable ?

3. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    1) Possible, and I will check tonight. Though I cannot think that I managed to do enough 'jiggling' to cause that sort of change to a working cable (unless it was poorly wired up during the installation).

2) Well prior to the RF being damaged it provided enough juice so I would suspect that as long as the Sky box is working properly it will work (the packaging stated it would run from the Sky power). It has the option of an external power supply, but I do not have one.

There is some power coming out of the Sky box, because as I mention the LED on the sky link works when directly plugged into the socket on the box.

3) To be honest this is the only place that the issue in 1 could have occured IMO. THere are only two connectors on the wire from the Sky box to the booster (one on each end) and then one on each end of the tow outets from the booster box. Again I'll check.

I'll check the cable connections and failing that get the bloke who wired up and installed the booster back.

Cheers

4. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Spot on Nick. Dodgey connector connection to the back of the sky box. Re-fitted and all looks great.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Glad you got it fixed :smashin:

Ideally, the inner pin on a co-axial connector should be soldered, but I've been using a soldering iron for over 40 years, and I still shy away ! The inner pin sits in a polythene moulding which melts as soon as you get the soldering iron near it, so I usually crimp it.