1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RF vs Scart (Sky+ & Plasma)?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DeeJay, Jun 18, 2004.

1. DeeJay

DeeJay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Apologies in advance for the long thread, but any information would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, I am soon to be moving into my new house, with 2 other mates. We are hoping to get Sky+ fed into our 3 bedrooms and the main living area via RF.

My first question is where should the Sky+ box go? I originally thought it would be best in my bedroom - the reason for which is that I could use an amplifier on the RF output, and send the RF outputs to all other rooms, including the loundge - and use scart directly into my bedroom TV.

An associated question is that all rooms, including the lounge need Network Points (CAT 5) - are there any problems with me routing 3 CAT 5 cables (from the hub in my bedroom) and 3 RF cables to the other locations (interference etc)?

My next point is that I am seriously considering getting a cheap-end Panny/Techwood Plasma for the lounge. I was wondering what the RF quality would be like here based on the above set-up, and the fact that it's coming from a Sky+ box.

The only other way I can arrange the same set-up is to have the Sky+ box located in the lounge with the plasma, feeding the Plasma it's signal. The problem in this instance is that the amplifier and 3 RF cables going back up into our bedrooms would look unsightly in the lounge.... What would the SCART vs unsightlyness payoff be like?

Any ideas greatly appreciated,

Darren

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    DeeJay

First off never mind the cabling issues - I think the Big Brother Team could adopt your idea of three blokes 'sharing' a single SKY box as some form of torture; it'll be like Lord of the Flies when it comes to who gets the IR tonight!!! What a nightmare :)

At least go for a SKY+ in the main lounge and a second Digibox for your global channel - or three Freeview receivers (one in each bedroom).

Attach the SKY+ to a 42" Panasonic Plasma in the main lounge and you'll never want to go near the bedroom TV anyway.

If you do have to distribute a SKY signal around the flat look at using a CAT5 video sender if you already have CAT5 and cant easily add additional video cables.

RF to the Plasma is a big no no - it'll look pants.

Best regards

Joe

3. DeeJay

DeeJay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Joe

Thanks very much for the response. Bearing in mind we are students, I think CAT 5 video sending is out of our budgets, and you can hardly call us fidelity experts! Your point about feeding the Plasma with Sky+ directly has made up my mind.

I propose to have in the lounge the Sky+, PS2 and Kiss DVD player (networked to our PC's for legally backed-up films) all hooked up to the Plasma, then feed the Sky+ into an RF amp (the one that allows TV Link to work, so I can control it from my room) to our 3 bedrooms. I think the quality here will be fine. My concern still is of running RF and CAT5 cables together.

Your point about fighting over the channels won't be a problem - we're all coming and going at different points, and get on well! Besides - we'll also be able to record things when there is a conflict, and have the freedom of terrestrial channels to chose from.

To summarise:

• Can CAT5 and RF Coax cables be run together?
    • Which Plasma (under £2000) should I buy, from where, and why?!

Thanks again for all your help!

Darren

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello Darren

I bet there's still the odd argy bargy over the SKY remote :)

CAT5 video distribution can be done fairly low cost - see http://www.kat5.tv/

In the lounge there is simply no way you should consider anything other than a Panasonic TH-42PWD6BX Plasma Display - at just over £2K it's way better than anything else on the market.

If your using decent screened cable (CAT5 and RF) I cant see you having any major probes running the two systems side by side.

If you go for a decent RF amp you can also input the KISS DVD player into the RF system.

As for a supplier then I'm biased as we supply all the bits you require - as do other suppliers that advertise on this Forum (see Sponsors list at the top of the page).

Best regards

Joe