1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RF Units

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by abz_da_man, Jan 10, 2005.

1. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any chance of using a console RF unit to link a DVD player to an old TV?? I have some RF units which Audio and Video socket but dont know if these are outputs or inputs....if anyone has any ideas please advise me asap and thanks.

2. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah. I've done it with a playstation R/F unit. Look for "hardware book" on google and a few sites come up. The first couple of sites should have the pinouts for the PSX video ports. All you have to do is identify which pins are for video, vid ground, left audio, right audio, audio ground, power and power ground and wire up your DVD video and audio to these lines. I used a multiadaptor for the power supply - it'll use between 3 and 5 volts - you can mess about with the voltage to get the best picture because it won't wreck your R/F unit (unless you go to far above 5v). If you have the old style playstation it's easier because it uses standard video jacks and has a central miniheadphone plug for power.
    Picture quality is quite good really - it's better than the regular TV and Video using aerials and R/F but that's because of the image quality of DVD

3. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alright mate, cheers, sounds like its gonna get slighty technical?? Well I've seen some ps1 rf units with video/sound composite outputs (I am assuming that they are outputs), is it possible to change these to inputs?? And then plug the rf wire from it into the tv??

4. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you know if i can use a phono to coax(rf) cable to send video signals to an rf input on a tv??

5. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should be able to use the R/F lead that comes with the console/R/F adaptor (that's the one you mean, yeah?), but you'll have to strip another set of wires in order to link the DVD to the R/F box. It doesn't have to be perfect because R/F isn't great quality anyway, so you won't lose much more image quality with hacked up cables.

About the post before that. I'd assume they are inputs if it's an R/F converter. I can't imagine why it would output. you can always test it any find out - you can't do any harm at all. I think you might be using the PSX R/F box I used. It looked like this:

________
    | O . O |
    --------- with the Os being the male phono plugs for video and left audio, and the dot being the male miniheadphone plug for the 5v (might be 4.5v but it works on 5 for me).

6. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i actually meant a lead ive seen, phono type on one side eg for video, and rf type on other side, i hear this will not work...

7. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That one on ebay will work, yeah,
    http://margo.student.utwente.nl/stefan/hwb/co_PlayStationAV.html is the link with the pinouts, it'll be backwards for the adaptor's plug. Unfortunately this pinout chart has 2 ground lines and doesn't define which is needed, but you should beable to tell if you carefully break open the adaptor's connector.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38615&item=8160008747&rd=1#ebayphotohosting
    This one is ideal. You don't even have to open it - just make a couple of male to female phone leads. You'll need a multiadaptor for the power - one that can do 3v, 4.5v and 5v, or just 3v and 5v. Chop the end of the wire and attach the positive to the tip of the miniheadphone jack the rf adaptor uses and the negative/ground to the shaft

9. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, but with that one cant i just use the ac adaptor cable as given?? so all i have to do is use male to female phono leads?? One for video and one for audio yes?? both coming out from the DVD player??

Thanks matey

10. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, just male to female phono leads, and you'll need a DC adaptor from Argos to power it. You can't use the playstation lead - theres no transformer meaning you'll have the 220v-240v AC from your plug socket being used directly. It'll kill you no to mention your equipment. With the adaptors you'll only be playing with DC voltages of 3 to 12v which is safe enough.

11. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so how do i connect the dc power adaptor/transformer to the RF unit?? is it a simple plug in??

12. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, you'll have to snip the end off it, strip the 2 wires inside then attach them with a soldering iron or insulation tape attach the one with a white stripe or text to the tip of the headphone like plug, and the black one to the shaft. Some adaptors have a wire that has a white core with silver wire surrounding it - like with a typical phono lead. Attach the central one to the tip and the surrounding wire to the shaft.

13. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so i have to snip the end of the dc transformer?? and connnect to the headphonr like plug on the rf unit??

14. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey mate if i buy a RF modulator from the US, their arieal outputs are the coax screw in type, if i get an F type to RF adaptor this will work fine yeah??

15. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't a clue about the US ones. You should be able to get ones made for/in england - these will work fine but it's far cheaper to make your own.
    Yeah, just strip the end of the transformer - the little end that plugs into your walkman or whatever, then wire it up to the jack on the RF modulator. There might be an adaptor available so you don't have to chop the end of the wire, but I haven't seen one. It's safe enough to use - you won't get a shock with the low voltages.

16. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you mention shaft and tip, you mean the top end of the headphone like jack as tip? And shaft as the bottom end of it?? ie beneath line yeah...

CHeeeeeeeeers mateeeeey

17. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers will do that, plus one more, q, what will hapen of i dont use, any power supply to thr rf modulator?? It simply wont work??

18. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it's like a mono headphone jack - the tip and shaft are separted by a black band. It won't work without a power supply. You can try using a series of 3 1.5v batteries - you have to tape all 3 securely in a row and it can be a pain, but it should work. I have no idea how long they'll last though. If the 4.5v they give isn't enough you can try using 4 to give 6, but this might be overkill. You'll actually get a picture with 3 volts but it won't be as sharp as with a higher voltage, and won't get any sound - just a buzzing noise.

19. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so 4.5 to 5v should be perfect yeah??

20. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it safe to just attch wire using insulation tape yeah??

21. abz_da_man

abz_da_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how come standard console rf units dont have power inputs?? DO they come automatically from the plug which goes into da console??

22. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, didn't see the previous posts.
    4.5v-5 should be fine, so will insulation tape.
    All console RF units have power inputs - in every consolethe A/V port has a pin that does 3 to 5 volts