1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RF socket to phono

Discussion in 'TVs' started by nsherin, Jun 3, 2003.

1. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

I've got a Toshiba 14" portable with an RF aerial socket and a SCART socket. The SCART is used to hook up my DVD player and the RF obviously for the aerial. Can I buy a splitter and adapter cable to run the sound (via a phono cable) from the aerial socket into my Yamaha AV amp, in order to get TV broadcast audio signals through my amp? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    There's no way of splitting the sound from the picture prior to it entering your TV set unfortunately so what you're suggesting isn't possible.

The RF lead that you plug into your TV carries the signal for every single channel frequency, and needs to go through a tuner in order to distinguish one channel from another (in very basic terms at least!)

Do you not have an audio out socket somewhere on your TV? Most portable's have a 3.5mm headphone jack which can be used to output sound to your receiver with the right lead.

K.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You can replace the scart between the DVD and TV with a breakout lead (Lektropacks sell them) this use the scart sockets audio out to pass analogue audio out to your amp.

4. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for the advice. A trip to Maplins has this problem sorted. I ran a 3.5mm headphone splitter into two 3.5mm male-to-male leads. Then ran the 2 3.5mm jack plugs into a 2x 3.5mm socket to single 3.5mm jack plug adapter. Then used a cable coupler to run that to a decent Thor 3.5mm to 2 phone cable I had around. Works reasonably well, but if I ever buy a VCR, I'll change this setup and go phono from the VCR outputs into the amp.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    that seems really complicated surley a 3.5mm to 2 phono lead would have worked just fine i have one for analogue audio out on my laptop!!!!!

6. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    That's what I was going to do initially, but when I plugged in a pair of headphones, the socket only delivers audio through the left channel, hence I needed a way to get a sort of stereo audio signal.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sounds (excuse the pun) Like a faulty socket or pair of head phones a mono TV should give you a dual mono sound from headphones!!!!!
    Did you look for a break out scart?

8. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hmmm - it might be a faulty socket - I'll try another pair from a discman in a moment and see if it is. I considered a break-out SCART, but decided against it, as I get a superb image from the ProWire that is currently in my system.