RF Remote Selection Assistance Plz

robbx2

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm an electrician that used to install AV equipment about 7 years ago and the game has changed for sure. To get to the point, I am looking for a remote that has actual buttons, small (if any) display screen, RF, and I need to control 1 AV set-up with this remote, but the customer has 4 separate AV systems in four separate parts of the house, and wants the same style remote for each room. 4 rooms with 4 systems with 4 remotes all the same. He is an older gentleman and doesn't want to learn different remotes. I used to use a Logitech Harmony but I wasn't sure if they could be set to four different frequencies to the IR blasters. Any recommendations on a remote system that qualifies?

Thanks, Rob

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum.
Why does it have to be RF?

Beats me, his preference. I told him that his new Samsungs had an IR repeater and that all he would have to do is point at the TV, but he doesn't even want to do that. He doesn't have or want a smart phone either. I know half the blaster/repeaters are app friendly now.

You could use 4 Logitech Harmony Ultimates , the remotes are both IR and also RF to the hub

OK, then I'd use four 900s, or Ultimates if you don't mind not having hard buttons for the numbers and money's no object!

you would have to search for 900's as discontinued, but some still out there

Ok, I think he will buy off on the Harmony Ultimate, because he really does want the hard buttons. But the issue that I read when considering that system is that the hub stated that it WOULD NOT talk to any harmony remotes. I thought that kind of odd and called Logitech, and he said that was correct, that it wouldn't. Now he barely spoke english and therefore we had communication issue from the get go. Do you have experience with that system? And the big thing is can it channeled or frequenced so that they don't walk on each others signals?

I dont really understand , the one thing the Ultimate remote does is communicate with the linked hub.

It does have to be the one bundled with the Ultimate , so maybe that is what he was meaning, but that sounds like what you need.

You "pair" the remote with the hub so you shouldnt get cross communication

Me neither - maybe he meant it won't communicate with remotes other than the Ultimate, which of course is true.
I do have experience, of all the models, including the 900 and the Ultimate.
The lack of hard buttons for the numbers is a definite disadvantage for some.
Also there's the fact of the transport buttons being in an odd place.
Pairing the hub to the remote to the hub should eliminate the problem but I've no experience of that.
I think the 900 would be better though it might be difficult to find four!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom