RF Problems with Loftbox / Sky HD / Sky Multiroom

MacR

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Triax Loftbox with a sky HD / Sky Multiroom with Global combiner working for the last 3.5 years, with no problem :smashin:.

Recently the RF outputs from both Sky HD / Multiroom have stopped working.

All the lights on the Magic Eyes are still working and the picture is perfect but have lost the ability to change channel in other rooms, which is a real pain :suicide:.

Has anyone had the same problems, or got any ideas of what could be wrong ??

Nothing has changed re: wiring or configuration.

Thanks in advance for any help !!

Cheers

MacR

The ability to change channel using the magic eye is dependent on the "power" option RF2 (I can't remember exactly what it is called now) being switched on - something which isn't necessary just to broadcast the RF signal itself.

As far fetched as it may sound could Sky have sent an over-the-air update to you which has switched this option off again?

I did encounter a vaguely similar situation, but it affected both my magic eye and the receiver itself where commands from the remote were simply not being recognised (I could only change channels using the buttons on the front of the receiver which was really annoying).

Completely perplexed by the whole situation, it was only after I had been told that there had been a big storm while I had been working away from home that I decided to disconnect and re-connect all of my AV equipment. Turned out the 'rogue' element was an old VCR which appeared to have reacted badly to the storm. With it disconnected from the mains, all of my Sky remote functions returned, but as soon as I plugged the VCR in the remote became unresponsive.

Took the VCR to a local electrical chap and when he connected it to some diagnostics he could see that it was bleeding all kinds of garbage when plugged into the mains. He fixed the power supply and everything has been as good as gold ever since.

Eye could be powered from the distributor?

Could be - but then, the Magic Eyes would still send the signal back to the RF2 connector even if it wasn't being powered by the box itself. I think you turn on RF2 power to power the Magic Eye - not to enable it to pick up a return signal. I could, however, be completely wrong in this. ;)

Je ne sais pas, aussi....

Wired.

I only have Sky HD & (old) sky box going through loft box.

Will try disconnecting everything & start all over again.

Could it be the loftbox is knackered ??

the RF outputs from both Sky HD / Multiroom have stopped working.
the picture is perfect
:confused:
Do you mean that what's not working is the control getting back to the receiver?

Do you mean that what's not working is the control getting back to the receiver?

As in post 1: "the picture is perfect but have lost the ability to change channel in other rooms, which is a real pain"

So, I think that is a "Yes".

I thought so too, but it's not what OP said, so I requested confirmation of my thought.

It depends on which bit is quoted.
"the RF outputs from both Sky HD / Multiroom have stopped working" but they haven't.

Yep, problem seems to be the rf signal is not getting back to loftbox / sky boxes.

Picture is still perfect and lights are still on, on all the tv link doofers.

So if lights are on, why can I not change channels ??

Just happened, no change to any cables / rf devices.

Any way of checking what's at fault ??

You do mean that the IR remote control signals, that you send through the "magic eyes" at the locations of the extension TVs, are not getting back down the cables and through the loftbox to the satellite receiver, right?
Although the programmes are going up the cables and through the loftbox the other way, it's possible that some problem has developed in the connections that is obstructing the remote control.

If you mean the Global SPC4 Sky box combiner - I had the same sort of issue recently.

SkyHD box and Sky Digital Box combined, all of a sudden the control commands from the Tvlinks stopped getting back to the boxes. All TvLinks were powered (red led blinking etc) but no channel control. After a few hours later it was all back to normal!!!!

After much scouring, I read somewhere that the SPC4 maybe affected after/during a dual recording which may make the voltage on RF2 fluctuate. Utter tosh as far as I could tell. Anyway contacted Global and ask for their help on the matter. Was told that the 'dual recording' thing had never been a problem and it was far more likely to be a cabling issue.

It was a real pain but I disconnected every cable and then reconnected them, nipping the F type connectors good and tight - And so far, I haven't had any problems since February.

Which confirms that "some problem" can "develop in the connections, that is obstructing the remote control" - thanks.

Big Billy,

Yep, spot on mate, exact same problem as you.

Will try that this weekend, weird though, as nothing has changed and nobody can get near the loft box.

Cheers, MacR

Big Billy / MacR.

Same exact problem, its been working fine since October and now its failing again.

I have had the SPC4 for 3 years and it only starts playing up during the summer, ive checked the wires, swapped the receivers, and tested the Skyeyes but no joy.

Would you guys have any alternatives to the SPC4 ?

I have 1 skyhd and 1 standard sky and would like to distribute and control both.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom