1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RF out from NTL STB?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by clived, Mar 10, 2003.

1. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Round at my girlfriend's parents today I noticed that their STB is producing BBC1, 2, ITV and Ch4 (all with Teletext) from the UHF outlet on the back of their STB, along with the NTL digital channel the box is currently tuned to on channel 60-something.

Having tried this at home, we can only get the current digital channel on UHF 60-something (so I know the UHF connection is fine...) but no discrete BBC1 etc.

Same town (Stevenage), same STB, different service?! Any ideas?

Cheers, Clive

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you plugged your TV aerial into the box?

3. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No, because there is no RF in socket on the box - and neither was their on the box at my girlfriend's parents house...

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    How can there be a UHF out socket without an RF in socket :confused:

Have another look, i'm pretty sure all ntl stbs have an RF in, sometimes via an adaptor

5. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There isn't a RF in socket - honest! :)

I guess that the STB is generating the RF all by itself...

I'm interested in this adapter you mention though - do you know which STB's these are available for?

Cheers, Clive

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    It's been a while, but I used to have an RF connection to my stb.

Don't really see the point, unless your TV dosn't have scart connections. You can easily use the nornal TV channels for teletext.

I vaguely remember a black plastic strip (provide by nynex as it was at the time) which had RF in socketson one side and those screw type plugs ('F' connectors I think) on the other.
    I'm pretty sure I had the TV aeriel plugged into here.

So you may not have an actual RF in socket in it's normal guise but in the form of the 'screw in type'.

Have another look at the back and see if there's a 'Aeriel in' socket somewhere.

btw, what model stb is it?
    (should say underneath)

7. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, my TV has scart. You're assuming however that I have a UHF arial to get the "normal" tv channels - I don't. The point here is that other people in Stevenage are getting UHF TV channels produced by their stb. I'm not talking about RF pass-through here. The box at my girlfriend parents house doesn't have an arial connected either - the box is creating the UHF signal, which is being output on an ordinary UHF socket (not f-type plug) marked "TV Out".

No, really, there is not a RF in socket of any descrpition :rolleyes: There is one f-type socket for the digital cable in, 2 scarts, 1 RS232, 2 IR blaster sockets and one "TV out" ordinary UHF arial socket.

According the the label underneath, it's a Pace D14001NC.

Cheers, Clive

8. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have ntl digital and my box does not have an rf in just rf out to the tv, this is the reason i went with ntl because i dont have an arial in my bedroom,
    before i had my plasma i use to have the box connected to a normal pilips tv via rf and scart and would get teletext ,now i just have the scart conected to plasma so no teletext anymore,

i think this was one of ntl`s big selling points years ago no need for exturnal arial

9. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your STB probably doesn't support RF loopthru - it just outputs a particular RF channel (65?) whereas the girlfriend has an STB with RF loopthru ie analogue terrestrial channels pass from the cable feed and outputted via the RF socket on the back.
    PS are you sure the STB is the same?

I have 2 NTL stbs - Di4001i with RF loopthru
    Di4010NC no RF loopthru

10. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pinatubo,

I think you've hit it on the head - the STBs may well be slightly different - theirs is certainly older than mine (I don't have them both in front of me to compare...). Seems a bit of a swiz though that we don't get all the functionality they are getting - I'm sure I'm not paying any less!!!!

Clive

11. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it's a pity NTL removed RF passthru from their later boxes.

12. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably way off track here but here goes.

A few facts first-Swapped over to NTL Digital a while ago, 2/3yrs+, the digibox that was installed was capable of producing digital and analogue pictures.

A while ago the channels on analogue were disgusting so I rang up to complain, to my amazement I was told that NTL have no control over the analogue feed if being passed through a Digital STB, and if I wanted an engineer to call out it would cost me £25 if it was not the STB at fault. After 1/2hr of trying to explain that the agreement I entered was to have both digital & analogue (as explained by the salesman, ease of taping digital and watching analogue) I gave up, but was told that the newer STB's that are now installed aren't capable of producing analogue pictures.

How true this is I have no idea.

Was told that if the STB (Pace in my case) has two viewing card slots then analogue(cable) pictures can still be viewed but are nothing to do with NTL. :rolleyes: Yet there are plenty of their customers still on analogue only STB's. :confused:

13. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, I've bitten the bullet and ordered a F-type splitter from Maplin to see if my signal strength is good enough to split the incoming signal and feed one half straight into the back of the TV for analogue and the other into the STB.

Nothing ventured.... :)

I'll let you know the results.

Clive

14. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Job done - signal split by Maplin F-type splitter - one feed into UHF in on TV, the other to digital STB. STB working fine, UHF (with Teletext, obviously!) on the TV.

Cheers, Clive