• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question RF Out and Hard Drive copying

The Sorcerer

Current Sky+HD box is a DRX890 with RF1 and RF2 outputs, with coax running from RF2 feeding TVs in bedroom and kitchen. I use a Marmitek Powermid XL to change channels from the bedroom instead of the Sky Magic Eye.

The box is old and now intermittently faulty so I've acquired a new DRX890WL-C and I'm gutted to find that it has no RF outputs. How can I get round this without paying monthly for Sky Multiroom?

I replaced the original hard drive in my existing box with a 2TB WD Green drive and it's given faultless service over the last few years but I may as well start the new box with a new drive too. I intend to install a 2TB WD Purple drive in my new box. My existing Green drive has many, many hours of music programmes recorded on it that I'd like to transfer over so is there any preferred copying program to use?

I dabble with computers and if I was copying/cloning/imaging a computer hard drive I would use either Macrium Reflect or Clonezilla, but I'm not sure if these would work with 'Sky-specific drives'. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't - after all, ones and zeros are ones and zeros irrespective of how they're put together :)

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Current Sky+HD box is a DRX890 with RF1 and RF2 outputs, with coax running from RF2 feeding TVs in bedroom and kitchen. I use a Marmitek Powermid XL to change channels from the bedroom instead of the Sky Magic Eye.

The box is old and now intermittently faulty so I've acquired a new DRX890WL-C and I'm gutted to find that it has no RF outputs. How can I get round this without paying monthly for Sky Multiroom?

I replaced the original hard drive in my existing box with a 2TB WD Green drive and it's given faultless service over the last few years but I may as well start the new box with a new drive too. I intend to install a 2TB WD Purple drive in my new box. My existing Green drive has many, many hours of music programmes recorded on it that I'd like to transfer over so is there any preferred copying program to use?

I dabble with computers and if I was copying/cloning/imaging a computer hard drive I would use either Macrium Reflect or Clonezilla, but I'm not sure if these would work with 'Sky-specific drives'. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't - after all, ones and zeros are ones and zeros irrespective of how they're put together :)

The newer boxes have a socket to add the required modulator

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triax-Link...&qid=1552934012&sr=8-2&keywords=triax+io+link

crockett

I don't know about a image but have had success with ExPVR, most recently in 2018. If you do look at the ExPVR route, n.b that its no longer supported (so you take your chances) and only works on linear (not On demand) recordings these days.

The Sorcerer

Job done and I'm happy to report that, for my particular case, I didn't need to buy/use ExPVR. Because I already had a 2TB drive and just wanted to do a straight clone to the new one, the cloning/copying/backup software that I use on computers (Macrium Reflect) did a perfect job, although I will say that to do a sector-by-sector clone took 7hrs 47min!

My only problem is with the Triax Link RF Output device - I can't get signal to my kitchen or bedroom TVs. I noticed that you can buy a separate power supply unit for this device but I assumed (maybe wrongly) that the power supply would only be needed if you were using the Sky Magic Eye system for remote channel changing, which I know needs power. However, I don't use that (I use a PowerMid instead) and assumed that the Triax would draw power from the Sky box for its basic function of RF distribution.

Can anyone confirm that the Triax unit does or does not require a power supply unit purely for RF distribution?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Job done and I'm happy to report that, for my particular case, I didn't need to buy/use ExPVR. Because I already had a 2TB drive and just wanted to do a straight clone to the new one, the cloning/copying/backup software that I use on computers (Macrium Reflect) did a perfect job, although I will say that to do a sector-by-sector clone took 7hrs 47min!

My only problem is with the Triax Link RF Output device - I can't get signal to my kitchen or bedroom TVs. I noticed that you can buy a separate power supply unit for this device but I assumed (maybe wrongly) that the power supply would only be needed if you were using the Sky Magic Eye system for remote channel changing, which I know needs power. However, I don't use that (I use a PowerMid instead) and assumed that the Triax would draw power from the Sky box for its basic function of RF distribution.

Can anyone confirm that the Triax unit does or does not require a power supply unit purely for RF distribution?

The box should provide 9V power. Check in the box setup menus that the DC power is turned on. The actual modulator needs power regardless of whether you are using magic eyes.

How do you turn on RF2 9v on a sky+hd box

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
That was it Graham - RF2 power not enabled on Sky box.

THanks very much my friend.

You are welcome. If only everything was so easily solved :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom