RF modulator freezing/losing signal

SavorettiMoretti

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a technomate rf modulator that keeps freezing / losing the signal.

The set up is as follows: Sky Q -> splitter / scaler -> output 1 takes 4K to TV via HDBaseT extender -> output 2 (scaled to 1080) -> rf modulator.

The loss of signal only happens overnight so guessing it’s when there is no signal or something as the sky box turns off.

My morning routine turns the 4K tv on with Sky box and that works fine but if I try a TV via modulator it doesn’t work however main aerial signal is ok.

The only fix is to reboot the modulator. I’ve tried rebooting the scaler first but that doesn’t do anything.

Any advice?

Which Splitter/processor do you have?

It may have an ‘always on’ option to keep the SKY feed always active (if that is the issue) - if not you could add a device such as the HDFury Dr HDMI 4K between SKY Q and the splitter.

Joe

@Joe Fernand This is the one I have.

Amazon product ASIN B07DN46C73
I think I’d rather try and solve the issue than put something in place to cover it up. Although I could put my matrix in between and try and run a harmony activity which switches to CCTV at night (which is a constant signal).

Or just keep sky on all the time

Last edited:
Set up an activity last night to switch the input of the matrix before the Sky box goes into eco mode (2.30am) then switch it back with my morning routine... worked a treat!

Just bringing this back up as I thought i'd found a resolution but appears not.

So I added to my bed time routine (which turns off the Harmony TV activity) to switch the matrix to input 2 (CCTV). If I check a TV connected to the RF modulator immediately after running the routine it shows the CCTV as I expect but something happens overnight as when I run the morning routine which switches the TV on and changes the matrix back to input 1 (Sky), the TV connected to the RF modulator does not get a signal however the TV connected to the HDBaseT extender does work.

I have to restart the RF modulator for it to work again.

This is my set up.
Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 19.23.22.png

Is that every TV that doesnt show a picture or just one ?

I suspect its something to do with the matrix and switching resolutions/signal.

I would recommend a 2nd (and possibly third) modulator rather than using the matrix

One other question are the Sky box, the ATV and NVR set to a fixed resolution rather than auto ?
IS CEC turned off ?

It's every TV connected to the RF Modulator, the 4K TV connected to the extender is fine (although not if I switch to the modulator channel).

Since restarting the RF modulator it's been on CCTV all day and been fine, so like I say something is happening.

Sky box, the ATV and NVR and set to fixed resolutions

when it's 'frozen' nothing, until I reboot it

No, so when it's working fine I can switch the source perfectly fine. Just something overnight freezes it. I wonder if on bed time routine I change it to ATV and see if it freezes

Switching to ATV has resolved the issue, even if the ATV is on standby. Must be something to do with the hikvision CCTV.

Hi

I have a similar issue and wondered if anyone can help?

I have Sky Q > HDMI Splitter > Output #1: Main TV, Output #2: Technomate Modulator > From Modulator COAX > Distribution AMP > Second TV.

I managed to get it to work so I know it can, but I regularly get on second TV “Check signal from TM-RF HD”.

Any ideas why?

If it has a loss of signal for a period of time ie the sky box turns off then that results on the modulator needed a reboot.

I set it up with a smart plug.

So every time I put sky q box in standby (like at bed time) then turn it on again in the morning, I need to reboot the modulator to get it to work in the second tv? That sounds like a pain, any way around this?

Yes that’s the issue I came across. Like I said I use a smart plug and I have an evening routine that turns it off and a morning routine that turns it on.

Or just stop Sky going into standby

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom