1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RF Learning Remotes ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by The Nightfly, Dec 20, 2002.

1. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Are there any remotes out there that will learn RF commands ? Preferably with physical buttons for DVD transport controls as opposed to LCD touchscreen. Backlit buttons would be iceing on the cake.

I want to store key commands from my wireless RF keyboard in order to control TheaterTek in the dark !

Allan

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    The Philips RU880 might (?). 'Bigger' Prontos do. There is a also a hardware mod for 1MB/2MB units to do RF (details online somewhere).

HTH,

Mike.

3. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Mike,

Providing it can learn RF commands, the Philips looks exactly what I'm after. It mentions transmitting RF for use with "Philips Power Control System", but these might be pre-programmed, it's not clear.

I'll make an e-mail enquiry, if does the learn-RF thing I'll probably get one.

thanks,
    Allan

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
  5. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Mike,

Thanks again, that's a great site. I've had a quick browse around that site and now I'm coming round to the idea of an IR remote like the ProntoNeo interfaced to the PC via the serial port with IRMan. The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to need some form of touch-screen configurability to cope with all the unique TheaterTek commands that wouldn't sit naturally on the hard-keys of any universal remote.

IRMan/Girder/Pronto/TheaterTek - that sounds familiar. Like many others I seem to be itterating towards the "Classic" HCPC config.

Allan

6. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Allan, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Philips RU 880 will not learn RF commands.

It will only 'learn' IR commands. It can however translate any learned IR command to an RF one. This would also be the case with the Prontos, even with optional RF.

Simon (Philips RU 880 owner)

7. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Simon,

I'm coming to the conclusion that an Infra Red remote is going to be better. FAR wider choice, so I'm more likely to find one that I really like and the IRMan device for the PC doesn't look too expensive (plus Girder is free).

If I use IRMan I can still have the wireless keyboard plugged in and active. This leaves me with the choice of using a basic remote with hard-buttons for all the common DVD functions and resort to the keyboard for the unique TheaterTek functions, or put absolutely everything TheaterTek does into something like a Pronto.

Allan