1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RF interference on RGB scart

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by BanziBarn, Aug 15, 2005.

1. BanziBarn

BanziBarn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Acer 26 inch LCD

I've got a minor issued someone may be able to help me with.

When watching freeview (or any other source) via a fully connected scart cable with RGB switched on in the freeviews's menu, and RGB enabled on the scart socket settings I can notice interference from the analogue tuner in the background.

I've seen this problem before on my CRT but that turned out to be because I was watching a composite picture, as soon as I switched to the RGB socket the problem was solved.

But this solution doesn’t work in this case.

Unfortunately, my freeview box does not output a signal via the RF, if it did I could tune an RF channel into the box meaning that even though its showing though on the scart I wouldn’t notice it because it would be the same picture.

If anyone has any ideas that might help then I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

2. BanziBarn

BanziBarn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done a little search and I'm going to try a better scart cable to see if this helps. I also read that you can cut the RF pin on the cable at the TV end which can also help - does anyone know which pin I'd need to chop?

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yep, yet another reason to hate SCART (and another reason I'll be glad to see the back of it). You're right that you can cut one of the wires inside the cable to get rid of this problem (unless the insides of the set are very poorly designed).

I think Pin 20 is the one you need to get rid of.

4. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My boss insisted on buying a load of cheap & cheerful fully-wired SCART leads from some dubious source, and of course it wasn't long before the complaints started rolling in..." When I'm watching Sky, I can see BBC1 in the background..!" and so on. It's the TV outputting its own tuner signal into the scart lead, and a tiny amount of this leaks over (by capacitive coupling) to the video input from the external source. This happens when the lead consists of a bunch of unscreened wires within an overall screen. Individually-screened wires dont usually suffer like this, but they tend to be quite thick and wife-annoying.... :D

5. BanziBarn

BanziBarn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well, the G/F will just have to put up with a fat cable on this occasion! - she can't see the interference though so she'll defo question why I'm fiddling round when there's "nothing wrong with the picture" LOL

So, if I'm being tight, will the cutting of pin 20 have the same effect of buying a decent lead?

But I seem to remember I cut a pin on a scart cable once before for some reason and then it didn't work at all!!

6. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Banzi - I think the pin you want is 19 (cvbs out) Can anyone confirm this, as it's years since I was in the trade and I've necked a lot of whisky since then.... :eek: . Cut the wire at the TV end. Good luck!

7. BanziBarn

BanziBarn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went round my parents becuase I remembered that my sister had a really good cable on her TV - I snatched it with the promise that I'll replace it tomorrow with the rubbish one I've got (she won't notice the difference).

Anyway, the fat cable seems to have fixed the problem - its easier to see the RF interference at night so when I watch a bit in bed later I should be able to tell for sure thats all OK. :thumbsup: