Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

RF distribution

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rolly Coaster, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Rolly Coaster

Rolly Coaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of a Pioneer DVR-520 yesterday and, unless I'm doing something wrong setting it up, I don't seem able to tune any of our TV's in to the RF output like the old VCR (and the sky+ box) did. This is going to be a BIG draw back for the kids and for viewing in the kitchen if I can't distribute the signal around.

Is it me or can't it be done?

:lease:

2. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As far as I can tell none of the dvd recorders actually output an rf signal, they just pass it through.

To distribute the signal I'm just using my old VHS recorder. Scart to recorder, recorder swiched to scart in....

or you can get one of these

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page4.htm

3. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about the 520 but many such machines do not have an RF output, only a loop through. Of course, TV modulators are available if you need to feed an RF signal round the house. It's all to do with quality as an RF output is generally inferior compared with even the most basic composite video. I won't get into the argument about RGB/Component when viewed on a Plasma!

4. Rolly Coaster

Rolly Coaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't believe that something so basic as RF modulation of the signal is not included on any machine when it's been a standard feature on VCR's through the ages. (It's included on Sky+) Many people must have RF distribution systems like I have and it makes no sense to have to buy an RF modulator do a job that the machine could so easily do.

5. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Not that it helps you Rolly, but the Panasonic HDD/DVD machines DO have RF output, not just pass through. I have heard before that some do not though, and it seems that most (if not all) of the standalone DVD players only have Svideo & Scart output these days.