• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

RF Coaxiail To ??? For Home Cinema Receiver

Ben Stone

Novice Member
Hello, firstly I apologise for any naivety or if this has been posted before.

I have Sky+HD and am using magic eyes in most rooms via an amplifier, most rooms are fine as the magic eye plugs straight into the TV wall plate then to the TV, but in my projector room, the coaxial cables go to the home cinema receiver then obviously onto the projector.
Based on the attached picture of the recommended inputs for satellite from the instruction manual (SONY STR-DH820), I have no where to plug in a coaxial cable, so my question is what do I need to buy, so I can watch and control Sky via my magic eye kit? Do I need some sort of converter kit, or just a different connector on the end of my coaxial cable?
Many Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 22.38.53.png

Ben Stone

Novice Member
Connect the "magic eye" to the coaxial cable that comes from your wall plate - the same as all the other rooms.

Yes but what do I plug into on the back of the amplifier? Is there some sort of adapter or cable that will go from the coaxial of the magic eye to somewhere on the amp?

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
There is generally no RF video in on amps. You could convert to composite but the quality may suffer. Speaking of which, do you realise this is going to be an SD picture with mono sound?

Your amp and projector deserve better! Search the forum to find out about distributing HDMI over cat 5/6 baluns. Then you'd just have the one HDMI input to the amp and be able to enjoy HD picture and DD audio.

Ben Stone

Novice Member
I'll be jonest I didn't know about the mono sound, and the quality I've got from the other tvs has been ok, but you're right it does deserve better! I'll look into distributing hdmi or wireless video senders! Many thanks all!

Ben Stone

Novice Member
Last question which main be completely wrong, but would another sky box or equivalent with a hdmi output work ? So the from the amp via coaxial into sky box (or equiv) then hdmi into the amplifier? Is this not essentially what happens at the first sky box which is sending the picture to ever other room?

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
You can put another satellite receiver in the room and connect the amp/pj direct to that but the receiver needs it's own connection to the satellite dish (or two for full flexibility in recording) you cannot connect it to the RF out that is feeding all the other rooms. This only carries the output of the original Sky box, and not the signal received from the dish. If you're a Sky subscriber and want to access paid channels you then need to add the additional cost of a multiroom subscription, or whatever they are calling it these days.

Ben Stone

Novice Member
You can put another satellite receiver in the room and connect the amp/pj direct to that but the receiver needs it's own connection to the satellite dish (or two for full flexibility in recording) you cannot connect it to the RF out that is feeding all the other rooms. This only carries the output of the original Sky box, and not the signal received from the dish. If you're a Sky subscriber and want to access paid channels you then need to add the additional cost of a multiroom subscription, or whatever they are calling it these days.

I see, but surely I'll still be able to reciever the one shared signal from the main sky box, if that would work, wouldn't that be in hd and dd?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I see, but surely I'll still be able to reciever the one shared signal from the main sky box, if that would work, wouldn't that be in hd and dd?

The signal output from the rf outputs is a PAL analogue TV channel, the same as you used to get from a terrestrial transmitter before digital TV. It's produced by a device called a modulator which modulates a UHF carrier (chosen so as not to conflict with any used by your local transmitter). The TV channel is created from the lowest quality composite video and mono audio the box has. HD has to be downscaled and the audio is still low quality mono only. To use this a device with a PAL analogue tuner has to be located at the remote end. This recovers the original SD composite video and the single channel audio. Your TV. monitor or projector will display this but it's not great quality.

logiciel

You tell us that the coaxial cableS go to the receiver - where do those come from?
One possibility is to connect C and E from a wireless SD sender, and have a magic eye connected to the end of a coax cable that is not connected in any other way.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
The SD wireless video sender will give a very slight improvement in picture quality and stereo sound, under perfect conditions. However depending on the construction of your home, distances involved and sources of interference they can give very mixed results... HD versions are available but they are more expensive, suffer the same potential for interference and also introduce compression into the equation.

Ben Stone

Novice Member
I could run a new hdmi from the main sky box to the projector room, I did want to avoid this as all the walls are finished. would this have a loss quality, perhaps a better option than video senders?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I could run a new hdmi from the main sky box to the projector room, I did want to avoid this as all the walls are finished. would this have a loss quality, perhaps a better option than video senders?

Using a pair of cat5/cat6 network cables with a pair of baluns should be easier to run than a long hdmi cable (as previously posted). The quality should be the same as a local TV connected by HDMI to the Sky box.

logiciel

If, and only if, new cabling isnt possible ideally Cat6 then another option is HD over Powerline. This will convert HDMI to powerline and back again at receiver end. However this does use compression but would be considerably better than SD quality most users cannot tell any difference in HD from a sky box. However this will only be stereo as just not enough bandwidth on powerline for full 5.1 audio.

Maplin have the HdJuiceBox on offer at £299 at the moment. HDJuiceBox Pro 3 Way HDMI Switch over Powerline | Maplin

For openess we are the manufacturers of HdJuiceBox but we would still recommend cabling if possible. I'd avoid HDMI Wireless between rooms as not as yet seen one that worked reliably and we have tested a few

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom