RF - "Channel outputs to"???

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mk2phil, May 8, 2007.

1. mk2phil

mk2phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does this mean?

I've got sky+ installed and want to run a co-ax from the sky box to another TV and then tune in channel 6 so its tuned to recieve the sky signal, that way i'll 1-5 as normal, then cnahhel 6 will get watever the sky box is outputting.

However, I've read somewhere theat you may need to change the channel the RF is outputting to? I thought that this was determined by what channel you set the TV to recieve this signal on?

Also, do I have to use RF1 or RF2 - does it matter?

I'll be putting my terestial aerial into the sky box but couldn't tell whether I needed to use RF output 1 or 2 or whether it mattered?

I only need to power on RF2 if I want to power a booster OR use magic eye right?

Thanks in advance

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    You should only need to change the RF output channel if you already have some other piece of kit (a Freeview box or a VCR) that is using the same channel number (68 by default) as the Sky box. In that case, you would have two competing pieces of kit both using the same RF channel number, to send a signal down one aerial cable. In that instance one of them would need changing to a different RF output, and the TV accepting the RF input would need to be tuned to both RF channels if both pieces of kit wanted to be watched via the aerial lead. I think both RF1 and RF2 always send the same signal - certainly RF1 always works, because that is what most people use when including the Sky box in a loop.

3. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    RF1 and RF2 output identical signals.

RF2 only has the option of a 9v power output on the coax to power magic eyes etc AND is the only one which will accept remote control signals back from the magic eyes.

"Services" "System setup" "0" "1" "Select" will take you to the hidden installers menu and on "RF outlets" you can change the RF Output channel number and switch on power (don't forget to save).

You will need to check whether or not you need to change the RF channel by connecting to other room with coax and seeing if you get a poor quality picture, if you do remove the terrestrial aerial input to the Sky dodgibox - if the picture improves then you need to change the channel number as you are getting interference from your local analogue or digital terrestrial TV channels (or possibly a VCR or other box's RF output).

4. mk2phil

mk2phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

My problem was that when I included the sky box in the aerial loop the sky signal (channel 6) was excellent - it was the normal 1-5 channels that deteriorated. Then when I removed the sky box from the loop the quality on channels 1-5 was great again.

Do you think I need to change the RF output channel?

Frankly I'm confused with thsi channel stuff - in my eyes you tune the TV channel into the signal.

5. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    If the channels are too close together they will cause interference with each other.

6. tonkie

tonkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Like I said in his similar post, try retuning your TV

7. derbyjj

derbyjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi if the aerial worksdirect into your tv 1-5 ok then I suspect you have connected up wrong. terrestiala aerial goes into rfin on sky box then connect rfout1 to tv and rfout2 to second tv or distamp.