1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rez PS2..........any others?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by stevegreen, Nov 16, 2003.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I played Rez last night on a friends PS2 and loved it.

Is there a similar type game available for PC or any other console? I will be buying a replacement for my Gamecube soon after Xmas but didn't really want a PS2.

2. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Rez is on the DC as well you know? :D

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    REZ is one of a kind, the nearest you'll get to it is an on-rails shooter like panzer dragoon.

Rich

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Which is the best such game since "Space Harrier"

5. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    You could do a lot worse than to pick up a Dreamcast and Rez. For the console and the game it'll probably be about the same price as a new PC game.

And it is just great. Well worth it. I've never played the PS2 version, but I think the DC version is quite similar. And did I say it's great? Well it is :)

6. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ever pressed the middle mouse button ('back' in the browser), just as you were finishing a lengthy reply?

:mad:Aaaaaarrggggh!:mad:

I guess that's near forty-odd hours of uprightness (with painkillers) for you... D'oh! :rotfl:

I'll try again...

7. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Deep breath.

Deep breath...

:boring:

8. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :blush:

Ooo, sorry. I'm getting there! :laugh:

9. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    <sob> And I'd written so well... :suicide: :( :suicide:

This isn't going to be half as good. Anyhoo...

Earlier, it took me a while to click onto the preference away from a PS2; but the info may still prove useful - to other readers, if not yourself, stevegreen. For what it's worth, I have use of the three formats these days and have no preference in terms of hardware; it's all about the software for me! :smashin: However, if you are replacing the Gamecube, I'd suggest that the PS2 is a great alternative, as it holds a healthy range of titles across most, perhaps every genre - with a great back catalogue too. Having said that, although the number of titles available on Gamecube and Xbox may be comparatively modest, you shouldn't find too many genre gaps on either format :)

N.B. I've used the links for no other reasons than recalling their existence and being hosted at a site whose reviews, aside from a couple of exceptions (hey, they're only opinions!), I have found pretty consistent and reasonably reflective of my own thoughts and experiences. Oh, they're written in readable English too! :rotfl:

Right, then.

10. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Although not exact Rez-alikes, two PS2 titles quickly came to mind. They are both music themed and somewhere between a rhythm game and a shooter. Having been without access to a PS2 for the last year and a half, I've only played the demo of the former and a long time ago at that; but I do remember that it seemed to have that certain 'something', the 'one more go' factor. Frequency and it's sequel, Amplitude (I think I got that the right way round! :rotfl: ) are the games in question, with both apparently having quite a following and generally garnering favourable reviews.

If you want other 'in the zone' options, how about a racing game? Over the years, I have consistenly rediscovered this 'zone' whilst racing round simulated tracks. Not that I ever 'became one' with my Grand Prix Legends Lotus 49, whilst flying round the Nurburgring track. Oh c'mon, there's one hundred and seventy four turns and over fourteen miles to be covered... per lap! Er, it should be noted that I do mean flying... :eek: :D :cool:

Okay, more 'zoning'. How about 2D shooters? Aside from possibilities with the Xbox and emulation, I'm not up to date regarding Xbox releases within this genre - so I'll stick to the couple that I am aware of on the other two boxes.

Again, I can't say which are NTSC-only or availble to PAL regions at this point; but hey, I've got the names and I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks :)

PS2 first then and we find retina burning in the form of DoDonPachi. Of course, you need more, so have some Psyvariar! On Gamecube, within the same genre, you may subject yourself :devil: to Ikaruga and Star Soldier.

It may be noticed that these titles have previously been available on other formats. Although I have no experience of other home conversions, I acknowledge that fact; but thought it better to stick to the three 'current' formats. :)

11. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A quick closure!

Although my PC hardware is seriously lacking the horsepower for modern games (read: anything less than five years old :eek: ), I know that there are many freeware/shareware shooters out there, with a growing following for the Japanese breed of the genre. Unfortunately, largely for the reason of the meagre hardware, I've not followed this side of things too closely; but I'm sure I can quickly find the relevant links and recommendations if needed.

Lastly, in terms of 'zoning', I can think of several possibilities (well, almost anything, if you think about it!), though I'll leave some space before this becomes :lesson:MY!:lesson: forum and again, add at a later stage if required. :D

I'm done! Hope it wasn't too painful. :zonked:

12. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Thanks for the replies, and your contribution Andy572.

The preference away from the PS2 has mainly been motivated by the comparison in loading times with my Gamecube, which I only have a limited experience of to be fair, so, it may not even be justified (not wishing to start a war)

To be honest, i liked Rez so much then i will probably try and pick up a clean second hand PS2 after the Christmas break, just for playing Rez, then decide which other console i want (probably another Cube for Mario Kart) I can then have access to all the PS2 titles and still enjoy the quirkyness of the Cube games.

13. davenich

davenich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There is a fantastic hardware deal in GAME at the mo, which has a GC, plus Legend of Zelda bonus disk (four games! Zelda I and II, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask) and a couple of Star Wars games (Bounty Hunter and Clone Wars) for €150. I'd assume that the offer is priced at £100 in the UK.

I'm now the proud owner of a spare black GC and two SW games that will be offered on ebay during the run-up to Xmas.

Anyone know what that would go for?

14. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    DC Cosmic Smash is similar aesthetically to Rez, tho gameplay wise it's Virtua Tennis meets Breakout.

Worth getting, if v. hard to actually get.

regards,
    anephric

15. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Well, going back on virtually everything i have said earlier in earlier posts I have managed to pick up a bit of a bargain in the form of an X-Box. It has 9 games with it and two controllers and for the price I am paying is a bit of a steal.

So, now the question is..........anything similar to Rez or Amplitude on the X-Box? :suicide:

16. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Uh....no, not that I know of, or I'd have bought them.:)

PN03 on GC is sort-of-similar, techno-shooty thing that it is. Nowhere near as good tho.

Sadly there aren't many games like rez cos not very many people like them.

Xbox Panzer Dragoon Orta has the same game dynamics as rez but is a lot less fun (and psychedelic): it's good, tho, looks fantastic and is chuffin' hard.

regards,
    anephric

17. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    <looks up to bookcase shelf...>

Panzer Dragoon Orta...

er...

Colin McRae 04

and

Moto GP or GP2! :D

They're the other kind of Zone games. Recommended :smashin:

TIP: Just stay calm and don't throw the joypad! :devil:

Re: any earlier comments, stevegreen, you'll never start a war with me around - so don't worry! :smoke: As you saw, I have all three consoles (with the PS2 being a recent acquisition) and have been gaming far too long to fall to such <cough> pursuits :) There's enough people doing it already, aren't there? :rotfl:

So, with that in mind, I can say that in terms of loading times, it appears to be 'swings and roundabouts'. Along with my friend ([still can't believe he bought a GC - or a console, come to that! :laugh: ), I thought the Gamecube was a speedy little thing; but then I had it run EA's F1 2002. Yawnsome! And a game that you don't want to press buttons with too quickly... :boring: Similarly, despite the hard drive, there's a fair few Xbox games that push you towards making a cuppa! Step up, Rallisport Challenge! Hmm, perhaps it's a 'rally' thing... PS2's World Rally Championship can feel justified in sharing the dizzy heights of the Rallisport mantle :clap:

Perhaps there's a dominant 'no patience' gene!

<Casts mind back to 10-minute tape loads (with a following wind!) - then doing it again as the system crashed! :clap: