Question REX0462 cable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Cathy59, Jan 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cathy59

Cathy59
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where I could buy a Panasonic REX0462 cable for an old Technics mini system? Thank you

2. JBA6

JBA6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cathy, A few questions.
    What was the function of the cable?
    Presumably the original is faulty?
    Any chance of a photo?
    If it's not a standard type it may be possible to make a replacement.
    --
    JB

3. Cathy59

Cathy59
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for replying. The cable connects the 4 units from a Technics mini hifi system; the original is faulty after being eaten by a dog! I have seen the cable but everywhere shows it as being discontinued. There were originally 4 connections.

Attached Files:

4. JBA6

JBA6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the photo.
    Unfortunately both connectors look to me like custom ones for this specific system. If the dog had chewed the cable rather than the plug it would probably have been possible to repair it. Unless someone else can help that's probably the end for your Technics system.
    Sorry I can't help,
    --
    JB

5. Hixs

Hixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,184
    You could try emailing technics, but given that cable looks like something from the 80s/90s I doubt they're still carrying parts for your system.

6. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    The good news is that it looks like standard ribbon cable connector from amphenol. These are available in a wide range of cable widths and it looks to me as a dual 15 way male connector. The radio spares company would likely have the connector. The better news is that you don't have to be particularly skilled to put it on.
    My description is long winded but when you see the parts it makes sense.
    The connector comes in two sections the connector proper and a clamp. One the connector proper, there are small tangs or teeth on one side and the longer connections ,which we can see in the picture on the other. The ribbon cable is placed on the tangs, so that each bulge is centred on a tang and then the clamp is just pushed down with a lot of force. . Commercially they would use vise but just weight will do or maybe a hammer and a block of wood.. the force pushes the two sides of each tang apart, cuts the insulation and the tang then grips the copper inside the bulge in a very strong grip,
    The clamp has locating grooves so everything is aligned.

7. JBA6

JBA6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry Daniel, I'm going to disagree with you. I know exactly the type of connectors you're referring to, I have some in my spare cables stock. They were typically used many years ago to connect to either parallel port printers or SCSI 1 disk drives. A typical one from the current RS catalogue is their part number 239-1235. In my opinion the connectors in Cathy's photo have a coarser pitch and are only 15 cores wide although as anybody who's worked with ribbon cables will know you can make them with a wide variety of cores, you just peel off the ones you don't need. So I stick with my original opinion that they are custom cables and connectors.

You may also like to note that RS Components haven't been called Radiospares for decades and to purchase components from them you need an account. They do have trade counters but the general public are not able to purchase from them. The obvious alternative is Maplin but they don't have anything like the range of electronic components they used to and as far as I can see don't have any similar connectors. It may be possible to find the connectors on Ebay but more information would be required eg a manufacturer and part no. for the connector.
    --
    JB

8. Grumpsimus

Grumpsimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    JB, anyone can buy from RS Components, you do not need a trade account, that was many years ago. I have ordered from them and they are very good, usually a next day service.

9. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Also there is a wide selection of these cable assemblies on eBay at prices around 20 euro , ex equipment. ... . I recall picking up one of these systems from a skip, bring it home, getting it working and then realising why it had been skipped in the first instance! .

10. JBA6

JBA6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks to Grumpsimus for updating me on RS terms and conditions. I've only ever bought items from them using my company's account and didn't realise it is now possible to do this without.

Daniel, I've searched Ebay and am obviously using the wrong text because I can't find any that look like Cathy's. I can find one that is a Technics SU-CH7 ribbon cable but that's definately not the correct one. I can also find plenty of Technics mini systems but it's not clear (to me) if the cable's included with those match hers. Can you be more precise please?

--
    JB

11. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    I just googled the letters rex0462 cable and it came up with a number of references to technics products including cable assemblies which look identical. Bearing in mind I have had such product in my hand at one stage, I have an idea what I am looking at... ,why would technics not have used the same data bus cable for a number of products?
    The only things which matters is .
    Does the connectors have the correct numbers of pins, the correct pitch and sufficient distance between the connectors to make the connection to the back planes.
    My recollection is that the wire pitch is the 0.156 standard rather than the 0.10 standard, but both standards are in use..

12. JBA6

JBA6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree it looks like 0.156 pitch cable to me too. Before my first reply above I tried googling REX0462 as well and just as you have found a few references to the cable but none were from suppliers who had any in stock. I just tried again and still can't find any in stock. I can find a seller on Ebay UK who has 3 Technics cables for sale which look to be the same pitch (they're listed as Technics A1-A2, B1-B2 and C1-C2 ribbon cables) but the references I've found to to the REX0462 say it's a cable with 4 connectors attached whereas these are cables with a single connector at each end. The OP would I'm sure be able to confirm if her's is similar to any of these by looking at the Ebay ads for these 3 cables.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  13. JBA6

JBA6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well, rummaging through my service manual archive I found a manual for the Technics SA-CH655 and guess what cable is used to connect the 4 main components of this system, yep it's the REX0462. The cable is indeed shown as having 4 connectors on the one ribbon cable. Naturally I've now done some searches on Technics SA-CH655 but unfortunately they don't come up with a supplier who has the cable in stock so as far as I can see we're still no closer to suggesting how to fix her cable or where she can buy a replacement. I'd have to see the actual mangled connector to see if RS or CPC anyone else in the UK had one that would replace her original. Over to you Daniel or anyone else.
    --
    JB