Rewritable media longevity/reliability

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ozxplorer, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Ozxplorer

Ozxplorer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've recently had the misfortune of using some dodgy DVD-RW which played back recorded material with blocky pixelation/dropouts! :mad:

The annoying thing is that the disks formatted and recorded fine as it's not like it stopped halfway. These disks were probably formatted/recorded only a couple of times.

The specs say -RW are supposed to last 1000 rewrites but my question is how do we know/keep track of the no of rewrites on a specific disk so that we don't risk losing some program we want to archive, assuming we're using good quality branded disks.

Because there're no symptoms, I hate to think that this could as easily happen with quality branded disks. Maybe the Tosh XS32's library function could be expanded to include this sort of information....perhaps a countdown with each reformat???

I would like to hear your experiences with rewritable media, there's gotta be a more reliable way of using them with confidence, short of using DVD-Rs!!!

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

You do not say what brand of DVD-RW you are using?

If you are using "el-cheapo" brand then try some decent media, that should easily last 1000 rewrites and easily more.

Regards

Philip

3. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Apparently DVD-RAM has the best longevity & reliability:

http://www.dvd-recordable.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1325

HAve you tried cleaning your disk though? Reason I ask is that I had a disk which corrupted the picture on playback and rewiting it didnt fix the problem. I noticed it had a few fingerprints on it (although not at all excessive). Cleaning the disk didnt solve playback, but upon rewriting it was OK. so it is possible you disk was dirty when writing and the machine didnt write correctly. There doesnt seem to be a verify option to ensure the integrity of a file copy on these machines. If a hardware error doesnt come up it assumes the file has been written OK.

4. Ozxplorer

Ozxplorer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the feedback and pointing out the interesting article on (DVD-RAM) defect management. It probably is the superior rewritable medium but my main issue remains and that is how do we "practically" keep track of the no. of rewrite cycles even on good quality branded rewritable media.

I'm sticking with known brands for now but there's still no assurance that the next time you use it, it won't prematurely fail before it even reaches 100 rewrites (let alone 1000)! There's good reason why the warranty on these disks don't cover the loss of (valuable) content....

Has any consumer ever tested (apart from lab tests) repeated use of just one -RW disk until it reaches its degradation point, rendering it unusable?