Rewritable discs.

El Jas

Standard Member
I have a panasonic DMR-EX75 and was wondering which discs and where from are the best for price and quality. (is it worth sticking with panny ?).:thumbsup:

Gavtech

Administrator
Judging by general users experience it is down to finding what works for you from a convenient supplier at a decent price... and that usually requires some experimentation.

The specification for disk types will be in the manual, so stick within those parameters... but being a recently released machine most currently available media will suit it.

I have an equivalent machine and I simply use Tesco branded media which are cheap and convenient for me to obtain... and have proved 99.5% reliable.

It is very rare to find anyone who has 100% success... although they may all post now :)

C

cosmicnut

Yeah, try a few different manufacturers to find the best cost/quality balance.

One suggestion from me is to make sure you have some kind of case. The DVD case ones tend to be quite usefull as you get the case with the disk.

Why?

I've used a few different types but the one thing that kills an RW are scratches! Don't know about anyone else but they seem a lot more sensitive than a write once.

Either by them in cases, or if you are on a budget, get the spindle or cellophane wrapped ones and get either paper/plastic sleaves or a wallet

superbike999

I have just bought 2 x 50 spindle DVD's of these;

Panasonic Branded (Taiyo Yuden dye) (16x) DVD-R @ £13.49 per 50 spindle + pp. (I think the pp prices cover the whole order rather than per item) User reviews give them 9.5 out of 10 marks for satisfaction.

from

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1203

I know they are not rewritable, but at that price do you really need RW?

They also have a very wide selection of all kinds of blank media including RW and many of the discs have user reviews on their pages.

They are a reliable company to deal with. I have ordered from them 2 or 3 times, with very good service.

Dave

C

cosmicnut

hmm, sounds pricey for 50pcs. I get 100pcs on a spindle, Datawrite Platinum, again very good reviews (never had a single failed disk in my DVD recorder or PC). Price was £19 for the hundread... (www.scan.co.uk)

No point getting into a "mines better than yours" style argument but you can always find good deals write once media, even the ones I get are considered expensive.

Re-Writable are usefull for TV series that you only want to watch once. The number of write once I've thrown away, you would not believe! Also, if you have a Hard disk in the DVD recorder, they are usefull to take HQ movies(needs 2 disks) off the hard disk to a PC for recompression to a single 4gb single layer DVD.

superbike999

cosmicnut said:
hmm, sounds pricey for 50pcs. I get 100pcs on a spindle, Datawrite Platinum, again very good reviews (never had a single failed disk in my DVD recorder or PC). Price was £19 for the hundread... (www.scan.co.uk)

No point getting into a "mines better than yours" style argument but you can always find good deals write once media, even the ones I get are considered expensive.

Re-Writable are usefull for TV series that you only want to watch once. The number of write once I've thrown away, you would not believe! Also, if you have a Hard disk in the DVD recorder, they are usefull to take HQ movies(needs 2 disks) off the hard disk to a PC for recompression to a single 4gb single layer DVD.

I agree with para 2, but people who have extensively tested different brands of such media seem to regard "Taiyo Yuden" based discs as amongst the best there is. I suppose it depends what you are using them for, archiving or disposable programmes.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm is an interesting read.

Use http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ to find out who has manufactured your discs.

Re para 3. What are HQ movies? Presuming it's something to do with a large file that won't fit on one disc, how do you split them to spread them over two discs? Up to now I've been using DVD shrink on the PC to fit say, a large rock concert file on to one disc. I realise that "shrink" would not be a lossless format. I have an EX85. Does that automatically tell you to insert another disc if the item won't fit on one disc?

Dave

C

cosmicnut

Most DVD recorders have a couple of mode, like SP/LP on video.

SP = Standard Play = 2 hours (approx) on a 4gb single layer disk (DVD shrink quality)
LP = Long Play = 3 hours+ (I think, not near my recorder) quality is reduced
SLP = Super Long Play = 4 hours+ with bad sound and visual artifacts

HQ = High Qulity = 1 hour on a 4gb single layer disk (again approx, probably less).

HQ is full, commercial DVD quality. If you only have a single layer DVD recorder you'll only get an episode of a series, etc on a single disk. Films will probably fit onto one disk, however some 2hour+ films increase compression to fit them onto a single dual layer DVD

I've never used your model but most will just report "disk full" if you record straight to disk. What I was talking about are the Hard Disk DVD recorders. If you record to Hard Disk you can store a longer film than will fit on a single layer disk. Some will allow you to split the long film over 2 single layer DVDs.

I hope Blue ray / HD DVD takes off. It might force a drop in the price of Dual Layer DVD media!!!

volvofan

:).If write once discs would be of any use then these may be worth a look,I have used lots of them without problems,no cases as they are spindle packed.150 quality discs delivered for £26 is very good value.I have used dual layer discs both -RDL and +RDL and given the prices I think both are best avoided.Lastly DVD-RAM are available double sided,caddy cased,you need to turn them over yourself!,:devil:,worth considering possibly if you can get a good price on them but most likely cheaper to use single sided. http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele..._R_50pk_Spindle/Product.html?searchtype=genre

A

Analogue

Gavtech said:
I have an equivalent machine and I simply use Tesco branded media which are cheap and convenient for me to obtain... and have proved 99.5% reliable.

:)

I have been using DVD Identifier as suggested by Superbike999 for sometime. This will tell you that some Tesco recordable DVD's are in fact a top brand but that others originate from a source with an extremely poor reputation. This has been reflected in my use of the discs with the former giving 100% reliability so far and the latter only about 25%.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom