Revolver

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by stevedster, Mar 7, 2006.

1. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Beautifully shot and directed, looks great on my pio, however wtf was it all about? Could have been a good film, but it was just to damn confusing to enjoy that much. opinions?

2. rmoxon

rmoxon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Revolver is nothing more than one mans mind numbing philosophy on the darkness within us all that is stretched out for 2 hours and shown to us through loads of sequences that don't mean anything, and are just plain aggravating to watch.

Ritchie thinks that to be intellegent you need to confuse the audience completely and do it in such a heavy handed way as to **** them off at the same time. This was one of the most embaressingly messy films I have ever seen.

He was obviously inspired by David Lynch movies, but seemed to have no idea what makes them so good.

3. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    WTF was the ending all about. Was one of the most confusing films of this type that i've seen to date.

Gonna have to have this one in my collection for the excellent use of Bass though :D

Steve

4. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I found it awful.

Loved 'Lock, Stock...' and 'Snatch', so I had very high hopes...

Bitterly disappointing.

Pile of poo :thumbsdow :( :boring: :oops:

5. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought it was one of the best films of the year personally.

It was one of the most strikingly original and challenging pieces of cinema I've seen in a long time, but I can kind of see why people get so irritated by it, even if it seems like a large percentage are just jumping on the 'hate Ritchie' bandwagon.

It's easy to hate something you don't understand.

6. AndyBBB

AndyBBB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Feel free to explain it to me. ;)

7. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The film can be interpreted (and I mean that word loosely) in so many ways. I saw it as a viewing experience which you're not supposed to 'get' like a normal linear film that we're used to.

You could read the whole film as a game of chess, or as a metaphor for Greed and Power.

That fact that you don't 'get it' doesn't necessarily make it a bad film. When you say 'explain it to me', it kind of means you want a rational explanation in a way that you would describe most films that you've seen.

Have you not seen any films that didn't make any sense to you in a conventional way, yet you still understood and appreciated on a personal level?

Eraserhead is a prime example of one for me.

I saw Revolver, enjoyed the experience of watching it, then thought about it for days afterwards. I can't say that about many films I've seen in the last few years.

8. rmoxon

rmoxon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fact that I didnt get it wasnt why I hated it... the fact that it was made in such a heavy handed and nuasating manner full of embaressing performances and a story that thought it was clever but was really just a metaphore for somthing no one really cares about. That was why I hated it.

Earaserhead is awesome and powerful cinema thats bizzare but damn cool. Revolver is just an ignorant mess that isn't fun, isnt clever, and certainly dosnet mean anything of any relevance other than that Ritchie is an idiot.

Youre right you don't have to "get" films to enjoy them. But you do have to think they are good, and Revolver isn't a good film.

This film was the second worse of last year for me, after the remake of The Fog.

9. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think calling Ritchie an idiot is a bit harsh mate. I don't particulary like the guy too much myself, but he's achieved a hell of a lot more than I probably will in life.

What embarassing performances?

A know Liotta was a bit over the top, but I thought the way he played his character was perfectly in tune with the tone of the film.

Revolver is always gonna split people. You'll either love it or think it's a pile of pretentious b*llocks. Most seem to fall into the second category, although there is a small, enthusiastic cult following building up around the net.

However, I think it would have been interesting to see what the general opinion would have been like if this was released just after Lock, Stock, before Madonna and all the public hatred started.

10. rmoxon

rmoxon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This film would have never been made before Ritchie met Madona, and I think this movie is actually the scary result of her exitential phlosophical ideas more than his own. But I suppose that is all just speculation so i will leave it at that.

All the performances in this movie were embaressing, From the "I'm too cool to make sense" bablings of Andre 3000 or whatever hes called, to Jason Stathem looking confused the whole movie then arguing with his "inner demons" in a lift for 10 minutes for the most cringe inducing scene of the film. Everyone in this film no doubt looks back on this and winces now. Ray liota was not only over the top, but spent half the movie wearing nothing but his underwear and crying. It wasn't entertaining to watch, it was just ridiculous. The only guy who came out with any dignity was the guy who played the hitman, as he was pretty cool and actually attempted to make an intresting character.

I don't hate Ritchie, you seem to be trying to defend the film by saying this is all Ritchie hate, but its not. It is diapointment that a man, who can obviously direct movies well, just completely messed up here. I'd still like to see his next film, and it really dosnet matter when Revolver was released, its a crap film and always will be a crap film. Nearly every director makes one at some point, this is just worse than most.

11. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not saying it's all Ritchie-hate. I just feel a lot of it is.

Your opinion on this is probably the same as about 90% of the people that have seen it, and that's fair enough. It seems like it's actually p*ssed you off! LOL...Unless you're like this with every film you don't like.

That seems to be how a lot of people react to it though. It's like they feel cheated for even watching it, lol.

12. rmoxon

rmoxon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, well yeah, youre right, Revolver did **** me off... everything about it seemed like it was trying to **** its audience off... so much so that you couldnt even just ignore the huge ammounts of annoying crap it was throwing at you.. it really is one of the most agrivating films I have ever seen (and as I mentioned a few posts up, I even managed to sit through the excruicating dullness of The Fog remake, so it takes a lot to agrivate me).

I love the kind of film Revolver wants to be, films like Primer, Mullholand Drive, Lost Highway. But unlike those films there was just nothing to Revolver, not deep down. It lacked the intricate details, moving performances, good story telling, it had no heart or soul. Those films might not make any sense on first veiwing but they are captivating experiences. Revolver dosent try to captivate its audience, it attempts to leave them one step behind and annoy them in the process.

13. AndyBBB

AndyBBB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, several - all of which are among my favourite movies of all time. ;)

My problem with Revolver was that it didn't make sense in a conventional way, and I didn't understand it on a personal level.

I just couldn't see what Ritchie was trying to say, and I couldn't decide what I thought the movie was trying to say to me.

I didn't think it was awful - I've seen far, far worse movies (anyone who likes the scifi and horror genres has). I just didn't think it was particularly good, either.

14. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can kind of see where you're coming from guys, but personally I loved the film. Should be getting the Region 2 version with DTS delivered tomorrow and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Luckily, it did kind of connect with me on a personal level. I don't know why or how, but I just really appreciated it.

I also really liked Primer, Mullholand Drive, Lost Highway, et al. But I wouldn't necessarily put Revolver in that bracket. Actually, I don't think there is anything that bares comparison from what I know. Maybe thats why I like it so much, that and the fact that I'm strongly attracted to Ray Liotta, especially when he's crying in his pants..

p.s. I was only joking about the last part. Seriously!

15. Always-hungry

Always-hungry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Not expecting much after all the harsh review's but to be honest, best film so far this year. A bit like Fight Club, love it or hate it, you decide what camp your in.

Cracking sound and picture

:thumbsup:

16. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear someone else loved this as well. ;)

I really feel it be be more appreciated as time goes by, but I was just looking at IMDB, and it's got quite a big following on there already. Pretty mixed feelings in general though, with people basically LOATHING it and very ANGRY with it, or loving it and seeing it as some kind of masterpiece.

17. Lord Midas

Lord Midas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I liked Revolver. It was one of the only films in the last year that had me and the missus talking about it for days afterwards.

I believe there is a lot a bandwagon jumping out there. Remember at the premier when Richie was being booed and heckled? No one had actually seen the film but because the 'critics' had slated it everyone started believing the hype had giving Richie a hard time.

We ignored what everyone else thought and went and saw it to make our own minds up. Yes, I though "WTF was that all about" but I didn't tihnk it was a bad film. Multiple viewings will shed some clarity on it.

For example it took 3 viewings for me to finally 'get' Akira!. Before you laugh I 'got' The Matrix on my 1st viewing and I know many people who didn't.

18. rmoxon

rmoxon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heh... ive seen Akira about 5 times and still dont think I get it...

Brilliant film though all the same... Unlike Revolver :rolleyes:

As i already stated, I don't hate Ritchie at all and as bad as I thought Revolver was I probabaly still wouldn't have boo'ed him... In fact I'd probabaly give him a pat on the back for having the guts to turn up at the premier of a film he made that seems to have no other purpose than to p**s people off...

19. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I kind of watched it with an open mind, although there was a part of me expecting it to be over-indulgent and uncomprehesible, mainly because of all the bad publicity surrounding it.

When watching it though, I was constantly waiting for a point where it would go downhill. I really couldn't work out what all the fuss was about. It worked on so many different levels that you if you didn't understand it in one way you could just kind of focus on it from a different angle.

Lord Midas, I was exactly the same mate. Me amd Mrs Carlito were talking about it for a couple of weeks after, and that never happens.

20. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In my opinion I feel Ritchie just kinda ripped off Kill Bill (the anime style sections), SPOILER
    The Usual Suspects (Main crime boss turns out to be Statham) and Fight Club (turns out he has an inner psycho).

21. rmoxon

rmoxon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I forgot to mention, this was another bit I hated. Though this wasn't actualy anime, i'd agree it was still ripping off/cashing in on Kill Bill and the animation wasn't really used for any purpose.

In Kill Bill QT used it to tell a characters back story and it worked really well. Ritchie's use of animation just came out of the blue, it was just bizzare and again, heavy handed. It didn't lend any artistic merit to the film, and it certainly wasn't helping to get any point or message across. It was a big waste of time... much like most of the film really...

And before people start, I know QT rips god knows how many people off with every film he makes, but the point is that he does it well and uses his "homages" effectivley in relation to the film. Revolver's animation sequence had no point, Ritchie just did it becuase he could, it just felt out of place.

22. hells_kitty666

hells_kitty666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I did "get" the film, I loved Lock Stock and Snatch so I'm not a Guy Ritchie hater, I also love Jason Statham and am beginning to enjoy Andre Benjamin's performances too.

But Revolver was a pile of sh!te and I don't like the implication that the reason the majority of people didn't enjoy it was because they weren't intelligent enough to understand the deeper meaning of the film.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though and I'm glad some people don't feel they wasted the £8 they paid to watch that film in the cinema!

23. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +555

Well said :thumbsup:

24. rmoxon

rmoxon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is certainly a pile of *****. Its a bad film in most every way, I didn't even enjoy Ritchie's direction on this one, even the opening scenes (and this was before you realised the plot was such a mess) were hard to watch becuase of the way ritchie shot it. That had nothing to do with not "getting" the film.

I liked a couple of things he did with the way he shot it, (the bit where Liotta is under the dinner tale, and the "action" scene in the flat) but I would never call this a well made film. It was about as well directed as it was corherant, heh.

The people who do defend this film generally seem to be ones who didn't enjoy it exactly, but they "got it" and just think they are good becuase they understood the "message" of this film. This board is actually the first time I have read about people who actually enjoyed the film for what it was, as opposed to what it thought it was. I'm not sure which is scarrier really.

But yeah, different strokes and all that i guess. Still a truley horrible film though.

25. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Well I liked it. Didn't really get it though so I am looking foward to seeing it again. The more people that hate it the quicker it'll appear in the Bargains:smashin:

26. iendicott

iendicott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What a weird film, wasn't in the best frame of mind watching it so can someone explain what it was all about :rotfl:

Was Macca Mr Green (Split personality) :confused:

27. bluesilver

bluesilver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    watched it last week. Not a clue either. Probably means it is profound...like the difference between a poor guy is nuts, a rich guy is ecentric.. this was profound and not rubbish.
    I got the bit about the two people he was with, but as for the end...what the hell was that all about? And why Ray Liotta's character ended up in the frame of mind he did... not a clue I'm afraid.
    It made me want to :suicide: myself

28. rmoxon

rmoxon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is actually another thread about this but anyway...

Its basically about the darkside in us all, Jason Stathem's character beat his darkside while Liota's character lost to his and cried a lot.

Mr Gold (not green) is the darkside and greed in us all.

Yes it really is that pathetic. The characters do actually explain it all to you but they sound so pretentious its hard to take what they are saying literally. Its just a horrible film anyway so i wouldn't worry too much about it.

29. iendicott

iendicott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Oh well it was simple :rotfl:

Was I right in saying Mr Green was Jason Streathams character ?

30. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Threads merged :)