1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revolution to use 3-D projection??!!??

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by t-force, Apr 26, 2005.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Well, it would certainly make it fairly "Revolutionary" if it did, and according to this interview on IGN here, that's what's in store.

The way the people suggesting this came about the info in question seems a bit "I know a friend of a friend"-ish to me, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

T

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I'll be interested to see what they are planning for this.

3. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that just sounds far too far fetched to be true to me, i doubt a company as big as nintendo would take such a hige risk as that when they know the competition arent.

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Sure that story wasn't on April 1st?

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Its funny. I remember Nintendo making similar claims about what eventually became the N64.
    Back then, it certainly wasnt feasable to make a machine that could do something like that.
    But now it might be.

It does seem as though Nintendo have been thinking about 3D immaging for a while though.
    I hope they can make something truly revolutionary.

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The production costs of such a unit at the moment would be massive, and if they did do this, it would probably kill Nintendo as they won't be able to subsidise it enough to make it a value purchase on the high street, if they did, they would be taking in huge losses, would be GREAT to have this, but I think it is too early right now, and will be too much of a risk on Nintendos part, would hate to see them dissappear from the console market :(.

7. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    imho nintendo have gone downhill, they ahvent kept up with the market that is focussed more on older gamers. ie 20-30 like sony and micro$oft. they havcent really changed their style since the snes, which is a shame but they are losing badly in the console wars (in the uk at least)

8. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    they have actualy gained more than microsoft and every thing has changed since the snes

Nintendo have already invested 6 billion of spare cash into the revolution, so the 3d projection does seem like a good possibility

9. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    remember the 3d gameboy thingy?? virtual boy was it?
    didnt take off at all over here, but goes to show theyre willing to try new things

10. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    The virtual boy really was a bad piece of kit, as the stereoscopy didn't work that well, and the unit would give you headaches after not very much use. As krismc says though, it does show that they're willing to try new things, and that their mind has been very much on 3d tech for a long time.

11. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    i think nintendo are an awesome company, but sony just goes to proove how good marketing and targeting of its customers can pay off!
    infact its down to nintendo sony are in the market now after their joint venture with the cd drive for snes which nintendo pulled out of and left door open for sony, bet the discision maker in nintendo got his head chopped off samurai style for that one hey

12. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will be a bad day for Gaming if Nintendo ever go out of hardware, the most original and new ideas on gaming hardware have 90% come from Nintendo,

I hope they blow us all away with revolution, but like it was said above, when you have the money and the marketing knowhow of Microsoft and Sony you are really up against it no matter how good your console is.

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    The only bad machine they have ever made was the virtual boy.

Other machines have been technicaly good, and have had some great software. But Nintendo will continue to lag if they continue to target such a small market.

In Japan everyone sees them as a kids company as that has been their main target audience for a long time.

Only now with the new Zelda game and the recent Biohazard (resi evil) games have we seen them trying to atract a wider audience.

Nintentdo have the money and the technology. But I still think they are run by idealist old men and need a shake down to make them realise how much they ar laging behind in the worl market.

MS came in and in 4 short years have overtaken Nintendo in most markets.
    Thats a pretty sad state of affairs for Nintendo.

I think it all rides on the next machine. If it can appeal to a wider audience then good.
    But if all we see are pokemon re-hashes I dont think its going to work.

14. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I agree that Nintendo need to change their tactics, I have been an ardent nintendo fan since I was a child and I love the games they make, but I feel that for the home console market they are losing the plot and sony and microsoft are making games acceptable again to an older audience.
    I love the new ds but I can see nintendo being a handheld only company if it knobs up the next home console.

15. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The Problem was nintendo got too big for its boots after the snes and thought that third party support wasnt needed as much, which, made them loose that generation (they still made tons o cash im sure though), they are slowly starting to realise that for a better market share they need the likes of capcom, konami, squarenix etc

Good luck to them, I just hoe they bring streetfighter back to nintendo where it belongs :)

16. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fact is there is a market for Nintendo without trying to compete with the 2 big guns

They have enough of a following and pickup enough new followers each generation by having some quality games, and trying new ideas, but are they happy with this?

They do make money on there consoles whether they lag slightly behind microsoft in sales or not its stil a nice profit

So are they going to roll up there sleeves and fight it out with MS and Sony or are they going anouther direction with new ideas and there own market.

Have to see what the revolution is really like

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    This thread has given me a good laugh. The only 3d Nintendo could afford to implement in their new console would involve some rather cheap looking glasses :rotfl: No offence but their idea of innovation was dual screens and a crappy stylus on the ds :rolleyes:

Seriously if they can pull it off great, they have to do something as they have lost half their handheld market to Sony and have been beaten badly into third place on the home consoles.

If Revolution isnt brilliant they might end up having to concentrate on Japan for their home consoles or not at all.

18. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How very pathetic you are my friend.

Its drones like you who are happy with tekken 1, 2, 3 , 4 , 5

Halo 1 , 2 , 3 , 4, 5 etc

Whether stuff works out or not theres only 1 company trying something new.

19. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Remember SNES era how Ninty used to rip everyone off? £50 for a cart was disgusting. Now that are in last place in the console market they are the cheapo ones and you can pick up a new gamecube with a game for £40 or £30, and still they can't sell them.

It's amazing to me how these things happen. Maybe in ten years time sony will be the paupers and someone else will be ruling the roost. Who knows?

20. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can you possibly compare then to now? how do you know anyone was ripping people off? did you make the carts? you know how much they cost to produce?,

Its funny that the reason the N64 lacked 3rd party support was because carts was to exspensive to make so comparing them to todays CD/DVD based games is stupid

XBOX games at £20 - £30 are more of a rip off than a £50 cartridge based games based on productions costs

21. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well thats no very nice is it ! Just as I see it I am afraid.

Considering that Senior Nintendo management have openly admitted that they can compete technology wise with the likes of Sony and Microsoft you have to admit that the thought of they inventing ground breaking technology for a £200 console (Or less is the Gamecube is anything to go on) is highly unlikely ?

Surely I cant be the only one who thinks this......

22. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was actually the way you put it now not what you put

I dont see why anyone who is at least looking for new ways to play and interact should be laughed and dismissed in such a way

Like i said whether it happens or not whether it fails or takes off at least there is someone looking for that something new to progress gaming other than the updated gfx which is getitng so damm old

Do we really want to play playing Tekken 20 in 5 years time? ot Halo 12? or some other game just liek them with a different name?

As thats the way its heading, you can have all the power in the world in a console but if there is no immagination to change things its gona be same old same old same old over and over again.

You also took the **** out of DS for a crappy Stylus, now whether you like it or hate it is there any need to rubbish something that offers something new? The Voice reconition, Stylus, 2 Screens whether they are your idea of revolutionary or not does not change the fact they have NEVER been done on a handheld before so they offer something new, and by the looks of the decent sales people are willing to try new stuff. You cant just judge it based on the first half a dozen games either, theres potential there to be unlocked just like there is with all new consoles, so even though gfx are not upto PSP standards at least it offers something different whether that appeals to you or not. why not just accept it for what its trying to do rather than criticise it.

Rant over. :)

23. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    hehe GFX are not everything, PS2 proves this quite well, its all about software choice. Sony have the biggest third party support out there and unless the other 2 can get support like it they will loose to sony.

Having said that Nintendo have made a tidy profit the last 2 generations (current included) and I doubt they will ever go out of business even though they sell that well in the UK compared to other markets

24. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I hate this argument :mad:

What the odds on another Mario game on Revolution then? Zelda anyone? Pokemon? Mario Kart? Metroid? F-Zero?

Sony & MS can be blamed for a lot of things but the industry's reliance on sequels surely can't be down to just them. IMO the absurdly high costs of producing games today means publishers are less willing to take chances on original titles. Okay so they're the ones making the machines that cost millions to make develop for, but ultimately who's to blame for that? I can honestly say I personally don't know. I don't see Nintendo screaming how much polys their consoles can through around but I also don't see them intentionally making less powerful consoles to keep costs down (as I said I don't know the cause or answer to this problem, i'll stand corrected if someone knows otherwise).

"Sequel-itis" affects everyone, including Nintendo. They all need to make money and these tried and tested series guaranty it. This is an industry wide problem. But remember there were well over 10 Street-Fighter titles before the Playstation hit the shelves

I've had people argue that Nintendo's sequels are different. That each new title brings something new, adds original ideas. But what's a great idea when the game isn't all that good? Give me MGS 3 over Mario Sunshine any day, San Andreas over Wind Walker and Halo 2 over Mario Kart DD. Also lets not forget that with the Eye Toy, Sony have probably introduced the most original idea this generation!

:lesson: Give me a great Microsoft sequel over a rubbish original Nintendo title any day :lesson:

Sorry for going so off-topic but people need to understand that most of Nintendo problems are self-inflicted. I'll suport them till the end but they need to sort themselves out big time :thumbsdow

25. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You obviously cannot read i never said Nintendo did not make sequels, i did say however they are always looking at new ways to play games with there hardware, something Sony and MS never do and never will do.

I wont even read your full post as the first line showed clearly you did not understand what i said .

When PS3 and XBOX 2 was announced you knew straight away there would be nothing new to them jsut more of the same,

Nintendo condenamed there console revolution, and it will definately have something new now Whether that something new will be revolutionry in peoples eyes is irrelevant as it will be new it will be different and it wont of been done before so that shows willling and imagination for me, i dont see that with Sony and MS ever.

The above applied to the DS again whether people see that as revolutionry is not the point the fact is the DS has features never seen before what does the PSP offer besides better gfx? nothing, my point is valid not a lost argument.

26. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes:
    Thats a bit of a shame really because I go on to say that sequels are an industry wide problem and that Sony have actualy created new ways to play games (I can understand Microsoft's caution as it's there first attempt at a home console).

So please don't insult my reading skills if you yourself can't be arsed to read what ive read. Especialy as it wasn't intended as an insult to you (maybe I need to work on my intros :rotfl: )

27. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The first line of your reply was telling me Nintendo do sequels as well as if i said they never do sequels, which i never did which put me off reading any further

P.S i changed my mind and read the post lol but it does not change my points about the willing to develop new ideas and features into gaming hardware

Microsoft with all there money and experience are in the perfect position to bring something new to the table but have no intention of doing so, its going to get very stale in the gaming industry

28. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hmm 2 Mario games since 1996? Its hardly FIFA is it? :)

29. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thats fair enough but aren't you just as much implying the Sony and MS only make sequels?

PS. Cheers for at least reading my post and giving it a chance :smashin:

30. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think people are moaning about the Mario Kart/Tennis/Golf/Party/Paper "franchises" rather than the dedicated Mario games which is a bit of a shame as they're really just a foil to incorporate characters that we already know and want to play as in multi-player scenarios. :)