1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revolution/R360

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by G a f f e r, May 21, 2005.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    As far as I know, the spec of these consoles is identical.
    Both the new nintendo and new xbox:
    Use the same 3x PowerPC (Apple mac G5) processors made by IBM
    Use the same sound card
    Have wireless controller ability
    Use the same internal RAM memory chips
    Are about the same size...etc etc

...which leads me to believe that in actual fact there is one skeleton console which is shipped off to MS to get an XBOX 360 case/look and the other set is shipped off to get Ninty Revolution case/looks.

Any truth to this? If so it would be great....because developers could create one game for both and just add a bit of code at the beginning to allow it to play on one console or the other (a bit like RCE encoding). I mean....stranger things have happened and this would ensure both could compete with Sony with a better chance of gaining market share.
    As both companies have announced major internal components going to the same companies, it wouldn't make sense if they were completely different would it?

PS I probably won't get any of them as I just bought myself a Scalextric which p***** all over consoles in terms of enjoyment factor imho :D vroom vroom!

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'm not sure where you got that information from because I didn't think any specs had really been released for the Revolution? Obviously I'd be happy to be proven wrong. :)

3. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nintendo is very picky over what kind of games it wants developing for it's machines so I don't think it's likely they'll be many ports of games to both systems, presuming the hardware is identical in the first place.
    I can't imagine that they'd both use the exact same hardware. They might end up having customs chips built by the same companies but I don't think the similarities will be any closer. Sound hardware has the highest chance of being identical, but even if they were I don't think it would make any difference in game porting.

I want a scalextric kit! There was a videogame of it wasn't there - what is the point of that lol

I had a scalextric clone when I was a teenager. It used a DC mains transformer instead of batteries, so I got myself an argos multiadaptor and set it to a higher voltage to the scalextric adaptor. The track I had was one that had vertical turns in it, so I made a completely loop with only vertical turns instead of horizontal turns so in effect making it one continuous straight line. I put the car on it and set it off - VROOOOOOM, damn thing was smokingly hot and one of it's tyres tore off :D

4. Jwarl

Jwarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nintendo have released very little in the way of specifications but most rumours point to a console that will not be any where near as powerful as the 360 or PS3. As I will be getting a 360 I really hope that you are wrong and I am not faced with a multitude of kiddy Mario type rubbish! :)

5. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Granted it was about 6-8months ago but i think Newsweek reported that the officially released info at the time suggested that all major internal components (cpu's, sound cards, graphics cards etc) would be made by identical manufacturers for both revolution and r360.

It will just mean the same console and same spec....not necessarily the same games (just that games that are availble cross-platform will be easier to port).

Would be interesting to see. I don't think Ninty will shoot themselves in the foot with a vastly inferior console.

Again, you would get seperate games for each console but identically finished games for cross platform ones (here's hoping)

As for Scalextric...Ive just bought a ltd edition Maserati MC12 comp racer (leMans GTS class).... :cool:

6. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    The only official thing that's been released as far as chips go is that IBM will be creating the CPU (codenamed Broadway), and ATI are developing the GPU (codenamed Hollywood). The fact that these chips have unique codenames would suggest that they are being custom made for the Revolution.

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Nintendo havent released any specs for the Revolution. And they wont be displaying a working unit until E3 next year by all accounts.

There is no chance it will share the same architecture or major components with the 360 its all custom stuff specifically designed for that console.

The revolution will use ATI graphics chips and IBM processors (Allegedly) but the PS3 is using ATI graphics chips as well as is the 360. But they certainly wont be the same. Virtually everyone uses them in one form or another these days. And as far as I am aware the Gamecube has an IBM processor .......

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    IMHO we won't see the new Nintendo console until Q4 2006, or possibly 2007. The main reason the gamecube has done so badly is that it was released with little advertising so long after the heavily advertised PS2 launch.

9. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Nintendo are trying to reverse that now with the DS. They seem to sponser a fair few C4 shows as well as a few regular TV adverts. Sony might go overkill with their PSP advertising in revenge lol

10. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    I was hoping all three would be released at about xmas 2005 time. I can't believe Ninty hasn't learned from past mistakes and will be "doing a Gamecube" again (no advertising, developers deserting the format....so no games (or rather no variety) etc etc). It seems like we'll have the familiar scenario of a two horse race with Revolution "dribbling along somewhere behind".

Back to the Scalextric.....am on the look out for TVR 400R tuscan DeWalt (sport Edt).

PiePie - did the Scalextric clone survive? If you decide to get another one either get the LeMans (scalextric 4) from modelzone now (£120 not £135) or wait for the next LeMans 4 circuit to come out later this year sometime........grEat FuN :clap:

PS I just bought 2 DS's for two of my nephews. They LOVE them. Especially the ability to WiFi play against eachother (sometimes only using one game cartridge). They are 8 and 6 years old.

11. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the May 20th Interview IWATA confirmed that Revolution would not come out after PS3 so if you believe him then no one is getting left behind well unless you count both SONY AND Nintendo left behind by MS

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well thats not what they were saying at E3

As the PS3 is being launch in March next year in Japan at least. All their talk was of continued support for the Gamecube and 40 new titles in the pipeline for the next year. It dosnt sound like they are ready to release the revolution at the start of next year anyway.

13. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats hardly concrete is it "officials suggested"

IWATA also said the Revolution would be shown before XMAS

Read the entire interview i think its on IGN or Gamespot,

Heres hardly going to lie.

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Any ideas when the Revolution's specs get announced?

15. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    Rev will actually use 4x2.5ghz cores, and 360 is 3x3.2ghz so all of 400mhz difference lol, but more cores = more powerful

16. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Iwata-san has confirmed that the full specs will be release before the end of this year. My guess is that they'll be announced at Space World, if Nintendo decide to have one.

At the moment, anything else seems to be conjecture.

17. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    4x2,5ghz G5 is plenty of power if you ask me and with 512mb ram it's gonna rock your world........

18. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Ok, cheers! :thumbsup:

19. M.A.S

M.A.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None of the next gen consoles will use the IBM PPC 970fx. (G5) They will all be based on the PPC 970 (including the PS3's Cell, although to a lesser extent than the other two) but be a stripped down version of it. Not even Microsoft could afford to put 3 G5's in an Xbox and sell it for £300! (ish) You just don't need the same kind of power for a game console compared to a PC. Also if the xBox 360 had 3 G5's it would melt! Apple's top G5 (2.7Ghz) has to be liquid cooled and look at the size of it! Thats also why the 360 can run at a higher clock rate than the G5 (3.2Ghz - 2.7Ghz) it's less complex, and does less per cycle.

Also the PS3 will use an NVIDIA GPU (called RSX it's said to be more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra's!)

20. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The xbox 360 is liquid cooled !