Revo RL70 - HDMI Issues

petesales

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I have been unable to setup sound via HDMI with my RL70 and Panasonic TV. Video is working fine, and sound output through speaker port is also working

System: (full spec can be found here Acer Revo RL70 Nettop PC - Nettops | Ebuyer.com)

Revo RL70
Processor
  • AMD E-450 1.65GHz
  • Hudson D1 Chipset
Memory
  • 4GB DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM
  • Dual-channel support on two DIMMs
Hard Drive
  • 640GB SATA 3 Gb/s
Graphics
  • AMD Radeon HD 6320
After receviing it I loaded up Windows 7 64 bit as I want to use it for both XBMC and Skyping, torrenting etc and have a lot more experience with Windows rather than Linux.

After updating all windows update, I then started with drivers which I got from the Acer website (Download) as well as using the AMD Catalyst Driver automatic finder (AMD Driver Autodetect).

Everything is working fine except getting sound through the TV, e.g. video is great have adjusted overscan and all that.

The TV is a PANASONIC - VIERA TX-P42C2B 42" HD Ready Plasma TV which I have previously had a Revo 3700 running Windows 7 64 bit with no problems, e.g. sound and video running via HDMI.

In playback devices there is only 2 options showing, no sign of an option to run through HDMI to TV and I have checked the 'show disabled and unconncted devices' tab. It does show Speakers and also Digitial Output but this not seem to correspsond to the HDMI cable. If I plug in a speaker via front port of the RL70 sound is working fine.

I am beginning to run out of ideas and wondered if anyone could offer any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pete

Did you ever solve this? I have the same problem with connecting to my Samsung tv through HDMI and getting any sound.

Keep getting error message to say I have no AMD graphics driver installed, despite downloding everything from AMD website and don't know if it's related to that.

Try and use the asus amd driver from their website or reinstall an older version of the amd drive (ver 11.4 was good)

Degs

Rather late to the party I know but this might help...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have resolved the issue and audio works fine now in Windows 8.1!

The Acer Revo RL70 comes in two flavours - one with Linux and one with Windows and it seems they each have their own BIOS!

I was on a BIOS for Linux.

The procedure I did was download the following BIOS files from:
Acer | Download

Find the Revo RL70 and click BIOS.

You will see 4 options. I downloaded the two:
BIOSAcerBIOS for LinuxP01.A1L2.6 MB2012/08/31Download
BIOSAcerBIOSP01.A23.6 MB2012/02/13Download
I think you'd be ok with just updating straight away to the PO1.A2 but I did the PO1.A1L first and then the PO1.A2.

Only after flashing to PO1.A2 did I suddenly get sound working (I had already installed the official RL 70 Drivers for audio and video)

I got so frustrated with this so thought I'd share to save someone else the hassle!

Ok so maybe it wasn't the fix. It was lucky coincidence....

I now have the guaranteed fix!

I had something similiar where I had noticed no matter which driver I installed it would always show "High Definition Audio Controller" with an exclamation mark and it was driving me crazy as couldn't get HDMI to be recognised for audio - only video (ie extend or mirror displays worked fine).

I have now worked out it's def a driver conflict between what appears to be Microsoft's standard driver for audio (that comes with Windows 8 via online driver collection) and realtek or amd drivers (when you try to install either of them).

I finally had a eureka moment this weekend and started a new install of Windows 8.1 BUT this is what I did:
1. I disabled the onboard sound via the BIOS
2. I went through the windows setup but on setup I chose customize settings rather than express settings - in here you need to ensure (for now) that it won't try and find/download and install drivers via windows update so turn this off for now
3. Now when I finished the rest of the setup and got into Windows I simply downloaded the realtek AMD driver from: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/down...Down=false
Select "ATI HDMI Audio Device" (2.70) and run and install this.
4. Restart your PC and you will have the HDMI audio working now. I tested this with the AMD Catalyst Drivers too and it did work ok too but I'd read in a few places it was better to use the Realtek driver as it was better(?).

I have tested and DTS and Dolby Digital definitely work fine (all my amp can support - it's old!).

Anyways it is all working fine and I know if I ever need to rebuild or anything that I can confidently get it working fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom