Revo R3610 stuttering with BBC iPlayer

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by sjdigital, Feb 8, 2014.

1. sjdigital

sjdigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Revo R3610 seems to be unable to stream BBC iPlayer without stuttering. I had thought that it might have been my network (it is connected to the router by Ethernet cable) and general broadband speed but my Acer laptop plays the iPlayer flawlessly over the wireless network, as does my iPad, so I think I can rule out a bandwidth problem. The R3610 has all the latest patches and drivers, hardware acceleration is enabled in Flash and I've eliminated any unnecessary items in the start up menu that might have been running in the background.

I'm now out of ideas so would welcome any suggestions as to what the problem might be.

2. plum23

plum23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    There was a patched version of Flash available for iPlayer on the Revo. Or use XBMC and the iPlayer adddon.

3. sjdigital

sjdigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for these suggestions. I had assumed, perhaps incorrectly of course, that the patch for Flash (which was for version 10.x or somesuch) would have been incorporated into subsequent builds of Flash which are now on version 12 or thereabouts. Or am I mistaken?

I had thought about checking out XBMC but to be honest I'm trying to keep this as standard as possible as a test bed for another project I'm working on which assumes that potential clients would have a plain vanilla Windows installation and would expect to be able to use regular programmes.

4. plum23

plum23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    It seems not to have been? -just checked iplayer on my revo with latest flash and it stutters.

5. sjdigital

sjdigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking the trouble to check this. It's a bit of a bummer I have to say as the only reason for having the Revo is to use it as a no frills media player, particularly for online TV. Hmmm...maybe I'll have to check out XBMC after all

Thanks again.

6. mbmapit

mbmapit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    Why wouldn't you anyway? All the addons have been extensively tested. So you'll get the likes of iPlayer, 4OD, ITV catch up, netflix and lovefilm all in 1 tidy place :)

7. sjdigital

sjdigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may well do, but wanted to see if there was any way of getting the Revo to handle the iPlayer on its own.

8. plum23

plum23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    This might be stating the obvious, but if you do go down the xbmc route don't bother with Windows - use Openelec instead.

9. sjdigital

sjdigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the suggestion but it is by no means stating the obvious. And I don't want to seem ungrateful for the suggestions but all I want to do is get my Revo running as I'd expected it would with a standard Windows install that will allow me to use the computer for other things as well. So things like Openelec really have no appeal for me. I tried XBMC and I have to say found it wholly unsatisfactory for iPlayer. The interface simply doesn't compare with the iPayer one and there is no obvious way to download programmes for example.

Maybe I'll just buy myself a Mac Mini!