Revo Mondo

aRCaM. Glad that someone has purchased one and can report. I have not yet done the deed, so would be interested in how you get on. Thanks. Simon

I'd be interested to hear about the Mondo too as i'm looking for something similar. What about the Revo Blick as well - is there much/any difference between the Mondo/Blick?

Sorry for late response. This is not a review or anything, its just my thoughts.

Ok, out of the box till listening to radio stations was timed at 4 mins.

First of all, this is a smooth looking bit of kit, no bigger than a can of red bull on its side. It has a lovely clear, bright, easy to read LED screen, and built very very well, it doesnt feel flimsy at all. Its pretty weighty for its size. It has little rubber castors so it doesnt scratch your AV stuff if you sit it on top of your other kit. Ariel fitted without a prob, and it comes with its own L/R (RCA)cable, I probably wouldnt upgrade it as internet radio is internet radio, it depends on its source as to how good it sounds imo. You also get a little remote and as far as these things go, its very flat and about the size of a credit card, it feels fine and easy to use.

From power on it ran a quick update that took about 10 seconds and was then sitting waiting to scan for my network. I selected to scan and it found my network and the correct security method I set my router to, and was asking for my network key within 10-20 seconds. After a few scrolls along the uppercase, lowercase letters and numbers I had my key in (this was the longest part of the setup) It connected within seconds and I was treated to 9821 radio stations.

Jumped immediately onto 90's music by scrolling through the genre's and had 120+ stations at hand. I chose at random and after literally a few seconds buffering (it gives you a % progress) I was listening to the radio.

Sound quality wise, its excellent. Of course it depends on what station your listening to and the bitrate its using, but even at a 128k station I was impressed.

I only have one con with this. When you switch channels it fades out the last playing channel then after buffering the new selected channel it jumps right in (this is only a matter of seconds though). Id rather have it stop the channel completely when switching channels to a new one but I suppose it may be meant to be like this as its streaming the data and it may just take a few secs to stop.

With over 9800 stations to chose from I'm spoilt for choice. At £100 for this little unit ? A bargain.

Thanks for the info arcam; sounds pretty good! You mention fitting the aerial - is that for wireless connection to the router then?

Yeah, it just screws to the back of the little unit. About the same size as a normal ariel for a router.

Meant to add....

From power off to power on and listening to the radio its about 20 seconds. It automatically tunes into your last station you were listening too.

Also, I have not touched on the media player side of things, so there's so much more this box of tricks can do, like stream music from your PC.

aRCaM. Thanks for the information, read like a review, and a good one, to me!

Another thought; can the Mondo be connected by ethernet cable too or is it just wireless?

I notice when listenening to internet stations on the PC, I sometimes get 'buffering' - Is this due to a slow internet connection or wireless connection speed or something else?

Do you think you could wall mount this thing? I'm looking for something to fit in the bathroom and am trying to figure out whether to put some sort of control unit in the wall or a display (SB3) or fit the SB3 in an adjacent room and just fit speakers in the ceiling. I quite like the idea of seeing what is playing even if it is in the bathroom.

Just got the Mondo myself, setting up was simplicity itself. Quality is I guess dependent on the station, unfortunately my favourite, SOLAR Radio is on only 32 kbps, but at least now I can listen to it without switching the pc on.... Don't suppose a better RCA lead would make much difference in this case?

The Mondo found over 10,000 stations(!!), only pain is that there's only 5 presets and you can't search for a station by name - don't know if this is particular to the mondo or if you can search for stations by name on other internet adaptors like the Squeezebox?

The volume control on the remote doesn't appear to do anything, at least with radio - the bars on the Mondo's display go up/down but the volume doesn't change. Not sure if this is a fault or if the volume control is only for music streamed from your pc (haven't tried that yet). Have e-mailed Revo to see what they say.

PS. for Davepuma: There's no facility as such to wall mount the Unit but its so small (approx 130mm x 70mm x 45mm), it could easily fit on a shelf or on top of a cabinet...

Just got the Mondo myself, setting up was simplicity itself. Quality is I guess dependent on the station, unfortunately my favourite, SOLAR Radio is on only 32 kbps, but at least now I can listen to it without switching the pc on.... Don't suppose a better RCA lead would make much difference in this case?
The Mondo found over 10,000 stations(!!), only pain is that there's only 5 presets and you can't search for a station by name - don't know if this is particular to the mondo or if you can search for stations by name on other internet adaptors like the Squeezebox?

The volume control on the remote doesn't appear to do anything, at least with radio - the bars on the Mondo's display go up/down but the volume doesn't change. Not sure if this is a fault or if the volume control is only for music streamed from your pc (haven't tried that yet). Have e-mailed Revo to see what they say.

PS. for Davepuma: There's no facility as such to wall mount the Unit but its so small (approx 130mm x 70mm x 45mm), it could easily fit on a shelf or on top of a cabinet...

I have a £400 set of Interconnects that I tried for a bit of fun, made no difference to me at all.

The Mondo found over 10,000 stations(!!), only pain is that there's only 5 presets and you can't search for a station by name -

Just got a Revo Pico WiFi - I will start another thread on that - but the 5 preset thing plus station finding issue is the same. However there is a brill solution and it is not in the Revo manual. Go to the Reciva website, create an account (free), select all your favourite stations, then (this is the clever bit!) log your individual radio(s) to your account, then select "my stations" on your radio and seconds later - hey presto - there they are on your radio for easy selection. Fantastic.:clap:

As Reciva seem to make the processor in all internet radios I think this will be same for all models.

Thanks for the info chaps. I thought as much regarding the interconnects but still got a QED 'Performance audio 1' anyway, only £22.50 and even if it does little, it does look rather splendid:D I've also found the 'my stations' function on the Reciva site - very nifty indeed. Oh, and the volume control only affects the headphone socket....

Just got a Revo Pico WiFi - I will start another thread on that - but the 5 preset thing plus station finding issue is the same. However there is a brill solution and it is not in the Revo manual. Go to the Reciva website, create an account (free), select all your favourite stations, then (this is the clever bit!) log your individual radio(s) to your account, then select "my stations" on your radio and seconds later - hey presto - there they are on your radio for easy selection. Fantastic.:clap:

As Reciva seem to make the processor in all internet radios I think this will be same for all models.[/QUOTE

Question re: the above, how do you log your radio onto your account? I have a Revo Mondo.....cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom