Revo Mondo WiFi

StratManSi

Hi all, it is with great sorrow I have to announce the passing of my Revo Mondo WiFi internet radio tuner :( I've had this fantastic device in my kitchen connected to an Onkyo micro system for years to allow me to listen to Planet Rock while I over cook stuff ;) sadly it's packed up and I'm in need of a replacement .
I've had a google of possibles and not found anything even remotely appealing. Does anyone know of a currently available alternative?

Cheers, Simon

Cebolla

Depends what you mean by 'appealing'. If you own a 'smart' handheld device that can run the excellent TuneIn internet radio app, how about a Google Chromecast Audio to swap with the Revo Mono WiF to connect to the Onkyo?

Of course no screen or control buttons on the Chromecast Audio device itself, but you are using the TuneIn app on the phone/tablet for controlling the Chromecast Audio instead.

StratManSi

Yep, that's what I'm doing as a stopgap but it's less than ideal as it ties my phone up. I only listen to one station so I leave the stereo on line in permanently and just press "On" on the Mondo and I'm off. Ideally I need a small unit with no speakers built in to put in its place. The clock display will also be missed - though I could just look at the cooker or the microwave ;)
It seems that no manufacturer took up the mini tuner only format other than Revo - and they discontinued it quickly too. I can't imagine I was their only customer for such a neat device. It adds internet radio to any system without being a full sized hifi unit - genius in my opinion!

Cebolla

Not sure why it would be tying your phone up. If you are using the TuneIn app to connect to the Chromecast Audio, then it's select and forget - you can even switch the phone off and the Chromecast Audio will carry on streaming the internet radio you've selected for it.

The TuneIn app is only telling the Chromecast Audio where on the internet to fetch the radio station stream from so that the Chromecast Audio can play it directly, ie, it's not getting the phone to play the radio station and then capture/'mirror' the phone's own audio to the Chromecast Audio.

Last edited:

StratManSi

Ahh, I see - I had assumed that the chrome cast audio worked like airplay ie it just played what the phone sent it. If I tell it to stream a station and switch off my phone will it keep going then?

Cebolla

Yep (did I not already say that? :lesson:).

Plus, just in case the Planet Rock internet radio stream was by some fluke a special case, I got one of my Chromecast Audios to to test streaming it using the TuneIn app on my Android phone, just before I wrote my last post. I've used my phone as normal since, even been out of the house on an errand with it for a couple of hours. Needless to say the Chromecast Audio is still streaming Planet Rock!

Incidentally, you can also get the Chromecast Audio to behave like AirPlay, so get play the Android phone's own audio being sent to it. For that you need use the Google Home app and select the "Cast Screen/audio" function for the Chromecast Audio. The function will then run in the background, allowing you to use any sound producing app on the phone, until you next disable it.

StratManSi

Nice! Sounds like that's the way to go then, cheap as chips too :) thanks for checking that out for me - most helpful. I knew it was worth asking here!

Cheers,Simon

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom