Reviving/replacing Pro-Ject Genie 2

spiritcrusher

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, joined up here as in the past year I've finally moved into a place where I've been able to resurrect my old hifi system. It's a NAD C355BEE amp with Elac Debut speakers, but the main thing I'm interested in is reviving my vinyl listening gear. I currently have a Pro-Ject Genie 2 [Home review] with an AT AT95e cartridge going through a NAD PP2 phono amp.
My main question is this - would I better off just upgrading the turntable/phono amp or would a cartridge upgrade make a bigger difference? Budget would likely be in or around €2-300 so was thinking one of the Denon MC like the DL110. I'll likely upgrade it all in time (although that could be over the course of years rather than months).
Any guideance would be most welcome as turntables are really a bit of a minefield to me. In fact I'd pretty much given up on vinyl as I wasn't too happy with the sound I currently have (compared to CDs) until I heard a real high end system recently that was just delish!
Thanks in advance!

AT AT95e cartridge
An obvious upgrade would be the ML version of your cart. I currently use one on a Project X1 and it's superb. You'd just need to swap the stylus too. Easy.

An obvious upgrade would be the ML version of your cart. I currently use one on a Project X1 and it's superb. You'd just need to swap the stylus too. Easy.

I think the ML version of the stylus is for the VM95e not the older AT95e iirc. So you would have to buy the cartridge as well but as this is not a lot more £ than the stylus alone then the recommendation still stands, cracking cart/stylus combo.

However, SN vinyl do a shibata stylus for the older AT95e at £130 but given their VM95ML complete is only £136 then I would go for the newer cart/stylus package.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom