Question Reviving an unfix-able active sub-woofer with dedicated Amp passively wired ?

Rhyno098

Novice Member
Hi all, Newby here.

I have a Klipsch 10 inch powered woofer (sw-350), the 'active' side has died (dodgy gluing) and replacement hardware is no longer available.

I was wondering if anyone had advice or experience on the 2 solutions I'm looking at below to wire the Sub passively as is (obviously connecting directly to the speaker and not the exisiting inputs):

1) Purchase a dedicated low pass filter and wire directly from the AVR receiver (Pioneer vsx-932)
- noting the issue of only being able to emulate front speaker outputs and not dedicated sub/lfe channel for Dolby Digital etc.

2) Purchase something similar to the mono channel amp linked below to passively power the sub speaker. Connected from the AVR LFE/sub output.
This would be the preferred option to make use of both stereo and coded audio.

My setup is a htpc, running into AVR receiver via HDMI. I'm running 2 channels via Klipsch Rm-500 series speakers and want to add the sub mostly for the movie/cinematic side of the system in regards to the level/quality of bass I require.

Possible amp solution:
Has low pass crossover setting and volume.

Any insight or alternate suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Conrad.

@IWC Dopplel has done almost exactly this (although I think through choice and not through necessity). He built boxes for the BK sub amps and wired them up directly to the subs. As I understand it he was very happy with the outcome.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Yes very pleased an upgrade over the stock items and a real bargain IMO, I bought the £500W units, 1,000W peaks and huge transformers

1610382596420.jpeg

Cinema Sub amps2.jpg

Naim CB 5.jpg

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
PS you could make any box if they don't fit win the existing sub 'hole', I have the drawings for these wooden items I have them CNC'd in veneered ply and simply glued and clamped then oiled

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom