1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reviews on the freecom media player 3? help.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by chubbs, Apr 4, 2005.

1. chubbs

chubbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone give me any information or point me in the right direction as to the new freecom mediaplayer 3 that has just come out.

I understand that it stores dvd's and music onto it's hard drive and will playback through your TV, I just wanted to know if anyone has seen one working and can tell me what type of operating system it uses etc.

any information would be helpful

thanks

chubbs. :hiya:

2. Derek22

Derek22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  3. diamond_joe

diamond_joe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of 250GB models from Scan a couple of days ago and i must say im very impressed with it.

If your looking for streaming or networkable device this isnt for you. If your looking for a portable external hard drive that can play most media formats on a telly then this is for you.

Installation is very easy basically to connect it to the computer then its by USB connection 2000/XP or higher will automatically detect the device with no need to install a separate driver. From there it automatically assigns itself a free drive letter and acts as any other external HDD.

On the device all ready there are three folders already set up providing locations for photos/videos/audios these can be used but u can of course create new locations within or external to this structure.

Storage of the files can be done by simple drag and drop within Windows Explorer no separate software is required and no conversion process either.

Once the files are on the drive u have to disconnect the device before the TV will recognise it. At present i havent worked out why u cant connect by USB to the PC and via SCART or cable to the TV.

Playback can be done thru the clear on screen interface using the sturdy remote control selecting either photos/videos/audios from the RC or on screen will enter the file structure for you to select the appropriate file to play.

The quality of playback is very impressive sitting here watching download episodes of the west wing the quality is almost as good as normal TV to my untrained eyes.

Before starting to write this review i had had only one problem with playing a file which was an xvid file but other Xvid files have played. But whilst writing this a couple of west wing episodes havent played whilst the one im watching now has lipsync problems. Now these may be problems with the individual problems with the files not the device.

One the whole i like the look of the device and am largely impressed with this. The problems im experiencing may be teething problems as i havent looked thru all the device options as yet to see if that resolves them.

Hope this helps