Reviews of LG players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Delorian, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen anyone talk about LG players on the site and wondered if any of you have had experience, good or bad. I would search for it in this forum, but it won't allow searches with words less than 3 letters, so I'm kinda stuck with LG!

2. Jonah

Jonah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try typing in the make and model all as one word.
    Like LG4950 or LG4210 etc etc

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the reviews, the LG DVD4750 is rather worthy of buying. Although for the price a multi-region Toshiba SD220 is worth thinking about as well since its the best budget DVD player about.

4. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worked for one but not the other, nor the one I was looking for, the 510. From what I read though, I think I'll go with the Tosh 220e even if I do have to pay crazy p&p.

Thanks anyway for your help.

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well worth the cash though Delorian, plus it has component out if your TV supports it. With the multi-region chip installed you can then buy DVDs off the net for a cheaper price.

6. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I'm fairly up-to-date and understanding of most things electrical. I've done my share of mini-disc, mp3, DVD, etc research, but 1 thing that has always left me at a loss is connections, esp when it comes to DVD players. This is my first experience with scart!

So, although I doubt my TV has it, what is component out? I think I'll buy a decent scart lead, but do I need to hook up them 3 coloured audio doo-hickies at the front of many TVs?

7. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    LG 4950 is excellent. Easy multi region remote hack and a nice shiny front display (if you like that kind of thing ).
    Highly recommended. Around £150 - £200.:)

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Captaindobie, you can buy a new Toshiba SD220 multi-region for £150... So really its down as a matter of preferrance.

Component is basically the best type of visual connection you can get (although you could argue that VGA is better still). Its just 3 wires, which carry these three signals - Y, Cr, Cb.

[​IMG]

Remember these wires only carry the video signal, so to get any sound you would need more cables. So far though only the high end Toshiba TVs actually have component in.

My advice to you though Delorian would be to by a decent RGB Scart cable and to use that with your DVD player. The scart lead will carry the video and audio signals so there is no need to use the composite phonos (Red, White, Yellow leads).

Composite is basically the worst type of connection you can get in terms of visual quality... After all, you've paid for good hardware so you might as well use it to its potential. RGB scart is miles better and once you've seen the difference for yourself, I think you'll agree.

Just remember to setup the DVD player correctly once you receive it. If you have anymore questions then just ask away as either I or someone else will help you out mate. Have fun! ^_^

9. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tanks alot Neo, you've been a splendid help. I'm gonna invest in a decent scart now...

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs mate. I myself need to invest in some decent scart cables, but will do so once my bloody TV arrives >_< Just ordered LOTR as well since I missed it during its showing in the cinema. Should be good.