1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews for Marantz DV-8400??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mgoldsmith, Nov 14, 2003.

1. mgoldsmith

mgoldsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just wondering if anyone has seen any reviews of the Marantz DV-8400, or tested/own one themself (i'm really wanting to know about its DVI connectivity). Spec-wise it looks very promising but i'm yet to see one up close (it's only just been released in OZ so no one has them in stock just yet)

thanks

Matt.G

2. Silversurfer

Silversurfer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt
    I have only seen one review of the 8400 here in the UK,I have had my 8400 since July and I am using the DVI-D (HDCD) output to feed the Infocus Screenplay 5700,I am well happy with the picture quality.
    Regards

3. mgoldsmith

mgoldsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for replying. i've a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them please.

what are the output options via DVI? (selectable resolutions, progressive, etc?)

also what sort of bass management control do you get for DVD-Audio and SACD? the previous 8300 model apparently offered no bass management in these modes, and it's only available when playing back dolby or dts soundtracks.

given that marantz make a big deal about the audio side of this player with the additional changes/enhancements is it worth the extra bucks? (spec wise it sounds pretty impressive)

BTW were did you see the review? as if its online somewhere i'd like to read it.

thanks

Matt.G

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That's not strictly true - the 8300 offers bass management on SACD but it is limited in that the front speakers can only be set to "large". It, however, offers no time delays (to take account of different speakers being at different distances from the listener) on SACD and offers no bass management whatsoever for DVD-A.

Whether the SACD bass management is done within the DSD domain or by converting to PCM is another matter.

So, it does offer bass management on SACD but it's limited to say the least.

Details here: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=301

Matt.

5. Silversurfer

Silversurfer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt
    DVI. no selectable options as far as I am aware.
    NTSC output resolution=720x480
    PAL " " = 720x576
    Both are Progressive

Bass Management options. Speaker settings = large or small
    Speaker distances = adjustable
    Gain settings adjustable from -6db to +6db.

Is it worth the extra on the audio side,I am happy with what I am hearing but it might not suit everyone.

The review I seen was in the Decembers addition HI-FI Choice magazine.
    Regards

6. mgoldsmith

mgoldsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks john, i'll keep an eye out for the review.

i am curious to know what you meant by "I am happy with what I am hearing but it might not suit everyone." :)

have you had a chance to compare component/or scart rgb to DVI? this was the most attractive feature to me and the real reason i've currently put this "universal" player at the top of my wish list.

thanks again

Matt.G

7. Silversurfer

Silversurfer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt

I have compared Component to DVI and DVI has the edge.

Having auditioned the 8400 and the Denon 2900, I found the
    sound from the 8400 was to me, the better of the two.

Regards