Review of the Optoma HD600X-LV (Amazing Projector for under £400!)

Marcus96

Novice Member
Me having owned my Optoma HD600X-LV for about 3 months and about 250 hours of use and now it is time to give you guys my opinion and what I think to the projector and how it performs.

-The Design-

I do actually like the design of the Optoma HD600X due to it's shape and lightwieght design, the actual size of the projector is about the same as a sheet of A4 Paper and is about 7.5cm tall so it's not actually that big so it can be carried arround with you quite easily and the projector is no where near as obtrusive as a proper home theater projector, such as the Pannasonic PT-AE4000U. Although the design of the projector looks quite good I do actually slightly prefer the looks on the Optoma HD700X or Optoma HD65 because they look slightly more like a home cinema projector rarther than a business projector. The one thing I do not really like about the projector is the remote, it is not backlit like the remote control that you would find on the Optoma GT750 or Optoma HD300X so it isn't always conveniant when watching a movie or playing a game in the dark, but you do get to know the button layout after a short time. The remote works well and is very responsive, so the remote isn't that bad afterall.

-Connectivity and Adjustments -

Talking about the connectivity of the projector, all of the connections on the projector are found on the back. There is your standard IEC Power inlet, HDMI 1.3 Input, Composite Video, S-Video aswell as your audio input and output which are often found on almost any projector although the quality of the output when using HDMI isn't very good quality so you will be better off using a surround sound system with HDMI passthrough or using analogue audio output straight from your device. There is also a VGA input, so you can connect up a computer or any other device with a VGA output on it, aswell as the VGA input, there is a VGA output port so that you can passthrough a computer signal straight to another monitor making it ideal for presentations, the VGA output port will not work as another input as I have tried it, it is a VGA passthrough only. There is also an RS-232 plug so you can service the projector aswell as the security bar to make your projector secure so that no-body can try to steal it. The main problem I did have was that the projector didn't have a component video input (RedGreenBlueWhiteRed/YPbPr) so that means me having to play my Wii and old PlayStation 2 with all of the games I love through the Standard Definition Composite Cables Red/White/Yellow which only give me a poor quality image, so luckily I found a solution here: Hd15 Male To Rca X 3 Female, D: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics an adaptor that allows me to turn a VGA port into a component input as the VGA port is labeled VGA/YPbPr/Scart so now I can enjoy games like Super Smash Bros via HD Component Cables! I haven't tried this product: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCART-VGA-L...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339103957&sr=1-1 but I am pretty sure it will work.

Now onto the adjustments. To be honest there are quite a few options available in that department, there are your normal settings such as brightness, contrast, etc. but there are also other settings such as Zoom and Overscan which can allow you to make a standard definition image fill the screen and it works pretty good to be honest and I don't lose any quality on the image. There is also a setting for keystone correction, so if your projector is very low down or too high up, you can digitally square up the image but it will be much better if you can place the projector into an ideal possition so that you keep keystone correction set at 0, it will get you a much better quality image. There are also other adjustments but there is nothing too special to be entirely honest, so let's move onto how the projector performs in tems of image quality.

- Image Quality -

In terms of image quality, this projector gave out some pretty amazing results. The only problem that I did have in terms of image quality was that when it came out of the box, the quality of the image was terrible with lot's of visible solorisation and faded colours aswell as the image looking extremely pale but these problems were fixed within a minute. I have always understood that the image you see on a laptop monitor looks the best for me even if you are doing office work, watching a movie and gaming. How I wen't about making the image look about the same as the PC screen I set the image preset "Display Mode" to something like movie as that is best for use of good colours reproduction, contrast and black level and then I noticed that the image was still very solarized, this fixed within a minute because what I only needed to do was set BrilliantColour to 2 and then I can't see any difference between my laptop display and projector and the colours are now vivid and have a sharp image and best quility settings I could find myself as you can experiment with them on your own but it will take you forever to find the correct settings. On the HDMI Source this set the brightness to 48/100, the contrast to 52/100 and the sharpness to 15/31 (I did bump the brightness upto 49) and it's awesome now. I did try all of the resolutions 720p, 1080i, 1080p etc. and 720p looked the best but I noticed that the other 2 looked pretty decent too and this projector can natively display 24Hz, 1080p24Hz out on PS3 Blu-Ray playback is fantastic. On the Wii in standard definition (Component video sources), I have set sharpness to 25 and did the same method as HDMI (Setting it to Movie, reducing BrilliantColour to 2 and a few slight modifications) but I found the image to look pretty flat and boring, this was fixed by upping the contrast to 80/100. On PC I used the sRGB Preset and altered the brightness to about 50 and the contrast to about 50 aswell as BC to 2 as that looks the best. Aswell as just making these adjustments, I found that setting the colour space on the device connected to the projector to RGB instead of YCbCr for movies is better because the black levels on YCbCr look dark grey and to fix that I need to lower the brightness to 40/100 and up the contrast to 65/100 but I think it is a little silly having to alter the settings every time you come to watch a movie, but I can't tell the difference between RGB and YCbCr so I thought that RGB is the best option unless you are prepared to alter the settings everytime you use a application that uses a different colour space. The image on the projector is indeed very good, when watching a BBC HD Broadcast (Humax HDFox Top-Box set at 1080i output) I noticed that skin tones were very smooth and I got a very sharp and detailed image, which I was extremely supprised at! I next decided to play some games (XBOX 360 set at 720p output) and the graphics absolutely blew me away, text was very readable, colours popped off the screen, detail was good especially in those tough get aways in those dark levels and there was no lag what-so-ever (things happened as soon as I hit the button), I also noticed that fast moving scenes were silky smooth and there was hardly any motion blur like what I find on my 1080p 50Hz LCD TV, I am playing Sonic the Hedgehog and racing games on this projector and I have never noticed silky smooth action ever before in my life thanks to that 120Hz motion either if the device is set to output 50Hz or 60Hz although I reccommend 60Hz as 60 x 2 = 120, if you are a gamer, this projector is for you. Next I tried a few Blu Ray movies through the PlayStation 3, I was shocked by this too! I set the PS3 to play Blu Ray movies in 1080p24Hz mode and the image was amazingly crisp and detailed but also this projector can natively play 24Hz content, so the few Blu Ray movies looked just like how they would at the cinema (or extremely close to that), even an upscalled DVD was amazing and looked as good as a BBC HD broadcast. So image quality on this projector doesn't just mean the clean and sharp image it gives off, it's also that silky smooth motion. I have never made a purchase so good in my entire life, I tell you that I love this projector, one Amazon review was titled "This projector is a Porsche" and I believe that to be extemely true, if not to be at Ferrari standard!

Now onto standard definition quality. Even if I use a device such as a DVD player or my Wii over composite cables, it looked as good or if not better than through a standard CRT TV (480i or 576i) which is just awesome, there is hardly any fuzz and the image is still stable aswell as motion still being smooth (unlike interlaced content). I am not actually using the Composite or S-Video inputs on my projector at the minute but with my Wii connected to my Component to VGA adaptor, that looks amazing too! Earlier on I was playing Super Smash Bros: Brawl at 480p looked amazing and I was strongly amazed by that. It didn't just run smooth aswell as the XBOX Gameplay, it also looked sharp and detailed but the image was soft to begin with and I simply bumped the sharpness to 25/31 and things just looked great. Colours popped off the screen and contrast was high, I have never thought that a HD compatible display will ever show SD good ever again but how wrong I was.

Also there a few other things you may need to consider if you are going to buy this projector. It is better if you place the projector in an ideal location (hieght wise) to avoid having to use a function called "Keystone Correction" which basically artifitially squares up the image but also reduces the quality of the image. This may not be an issue if you only use a tiny bit and sit far back enougth not to notice it but I suppose it's a personal preference weather you use it or not. Also if you are wanting to buy this projector for 3D, you will need the optional "3D-XL Converter Box" which cost's about £169.99 at amazon.co.uk, you can use it for Blu-Ray movies but it doesn't support 1080p24Hz in 3D mode, so Blu-Ray won't look quite as good as we'ed hope but it will still be pretty good, especially if you are using it for gaming, "Sonic Generations" and "Gran Turismo 5" are pretty cheap and do a good job in 3D.

BTW, I haven't had any issue with the rainbow effect and as I said I do mainly use this projector for racing games but I suppose it depends if you are one of those people who can see rainbow effects because I never do and never have done before. So I will always get a DLP Projector and will never buy an LCD as DLP is a better image and I do not have this problem but be sure to give it a test drive before you buy unless you are sure you can't see rainbows, if so unfortunately you will have to get an alternative LCD Projector unless you can put up with the rainbow effect.

Also for those of you who say that the projector needs re-focusing everytime they switch it on, it isn't neccasery as the image will only need to be refocused again within minutes after first turning it on. When the projector starts up (especially on those cold winter nights) the image is slightly out of focus but then after a few minutes, it is perfectlly fine so I reccommend focusing the projector after about 5-10 minutes of use to get the best out of it.

- Conclusion -

If you are looking for a good projector for under £400, certainly get this one unless you have the problem I just explained about the rainbow effect. I will say certainly get this because the image is just fantastic and motion is silky smooth. I mean it blew me away, GET THIS PROJECTOR NOW! It's awesome.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom