1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review of set up...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by majak, Jan 19, 2003.

1. majak

majak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to buy a HC package (I'll probably use it equally much for telly/music), after research I've come up wit the following shortlist:

Speakers:
    Tannoy mercury (MX1M, MXCM, MX3M)
    or
    Mission (M71, M73, M7C2)

Receiver
    Yamaha 630
    or
    Pioneer 711

DVD
    Pioneer 454

Whats your opionions?
    I'm thinking about upgrading the fronts to MX4M resp. M74 that would be an aditional £80 ca. Would i be better of keeping my existing spec. or should I put the money elsewhere?

If I upgrade the fronts do I need to upgrade the rears? And also will the M71 be ok, or should i go for the M72 (a bit harder to get hold of for me)...

Anyway all tips/opinions are higly welcome

P.S.
    I won't buy a sub at this time.

2. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i don't like Mission one jot- they all sound far too artifically bright and the build/finish quality for the money is IMO absolutely appalling.

Tannoys- fab speakers

I'd settle for the MX3/MXC/MX1 combination, but listen to the MX2 on stands, MXC/ MX1 combination, with the MX2s on stands, obviously at the front. The reason I say this is because I tend to find budget floorstanders have huge bass/mid colouration 1) because of the inevitably cheap drive units 2) the cabinets internal bracing isn't up to scratch. MX2 stand mounts on mass loaded Atacama or similar stands will give the same kind of bass output and weight, but at no expense of midrange and should work out at more or less the same sort of price.

www.tannoy.com if you need pics or anything.

oh, and Yamaha DSPAX630/RXV630 if you need a radio and don't mind paying £50 for the privilege. Pioneer Air Studios stuff ain't half bad...the rest is IMO. Take a listen to the Marantz Sr5300 instead of the Yamaha if no.1 priority is music, over movies

Rozzar