1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review of Meridian G68 & G98

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by recruit, Mar 29, 2005.

1. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    An interesting review - thx for the link!

How are you getting on with your setup btw?

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Thats a cracking review to be honest. He seemed to love everything about them !

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't stop listening to it :D

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    If only I had the money! ;)

6. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for posting that recruit. :thumbsup:

I assume your decision was an easy one to go all Meridian?

Did you try other front ends at all on your travels? I am tossing up between an all Krell system or the two Meridians in the review (but the balanced processor) with Krell power.

7. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    David

Can't comment on the Krell processor but I find the G98 works well with Krell amps via a 568.2. Last time I auditioned a G68 it wasn't possible to disable the MHR on the digital outputs which ruled it out for me as I use the L/R digital outputs to link my HiFi and AV systems together but it was a cracking AV processor although a bit too clinical on music for me. If music is a priority and you don't want to muck about with a seperate DAC check out a used 861, it's pretty impressive, mine's a pretty old v2 with v2.5 software but it's very musical in comparison to a G68.

8. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That could be a very good idea actually it gives me a cheaper crossover to proper pre / power and a subsequent upgrade less painful. Does the 568.2 have balanced outputs? What is the going rate for them? and do I need to ensure current upgrades for them?

David

9. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The 568.2 has balanced outputs for the front 3 channels.

Latest (V2.5 beta) firmware gave the unit PLIIx and THX Ultra 2, along with a slightly different soundstage (more detailed). Some people prefer the older firmware, but I personally liked the later V2.5 sound.

Current pricing is around £1500 to £2200 depending on the spec and how lucky you are on the day. :)

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David,

Yes it was an easy decision for me anyway, as i had always wanted to own one and wanted a good balance for Movies and Music.

I have heard a couple of others ie Lexicon / Parasound but never a Krell setup but from what reviews have been written i am sure it will be good.

Ref to the 568.2 it certainly does represent good value for money especially at the current priceing that scott has quoted, before i bought the G68 i was offered an Ex dem 568.2 at a good price and definitly thought about it but after talking it over with my dealer i decided not too as the Benefits of the G68 over the 568.2 were more appealing to me ie Room Correction which IMO is definitly something that effect's most peoples listening rooms.
    Apart from it also sounding superb it's looks also appeal more to me than the older 5xx series which IMO are quite ugly looking, i suppose if it is in a dedicated room then that won't really matter but mine is on show so it certainly helps.

Cheers
    John

11. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    David

If it's of interest I may be parting with my G98 (Audiocom mod'ed) and one of my processors, either the 568.2 or the 861, over the next month or so. I'm having a real problem with Tinnitus lately and am not able to listen to my system these days, will probably get shot of my Wadia transport/dac and Krell monoblocs as well.

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary,

Can i ask you a question, what do you mean by audiocom moded?

Cheers
    John

13. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi John

Here's a link to the Audiocom site:
    http://www.audiocominternational.com/

They offer a number of modifications for upgrading Hi-Fi kit. Although the G98 is a great transport I felt there was room for improvement and gave Audiocom a budget of £1000 to see what they could do with it. Their comment was that the strength of the G98 was in the design, but it's built to a price, they changed a number of key components to extract a little more out of it. The modified version is less harsh and grainy in the treble, a nice smooth presentation now. Having said that, they can only work with what's there, even a modified G98 is no match for a Wadia 270 for RBCD.

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that Gary :thumbsup: that must be an absolutely awsome G98 as it is very good as it stands and to be improved upon WOW very interesting indeed. I will have a look into this.

David - If you are thinking of getting one then if Gary is selling his that would be an excellent choice especially as it has been enhanced even further!!

Cheers
    John

15. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    since I just got the dv27, then another dvd is at the bottom of my list atm. I am about to order a dedicated cabinet from kell systems, then my next move is a processor. But I want to end up with matvhing set since both krell (cast) and meridian (can't remeber the technology) both get better when you pair them up. So if I get a 568.2 or a g68 (i want the balanced one) I will end up with their dvd - the same for the krells.

Looks like I can get 568.2 for just short of 2k which might be a good stepping stone. I think I'll be in the market for one in 6-8 weeks time depending when my customers pay me! I guess I really need to hear both, with my system and my room, but that is easier said than done!

16. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    of course if there is a deal to be done then I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth!

17. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this Scott

:thumbsup:

18. u32t5645

u32t5645

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen this expression appear in several places on the AVForums. For those of us on this side of the pond, what does “cracking” mean?
    :confused:

19. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Vernacular for 'excellent'.

20. u32t5645

u32t5645

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

21. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I am really tempted to get a G68 now, but I am bothered by the imminent arrival of HD-DVD/Blu Ray and want my processor to be able to decode the new formats.

Is the G68 upgradeable or will a new version come out?

22. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The G68 is upgradeable by software only at present and i don't know if Meridian will make it hardware too?? saying that though my G68J has 3 panels blanked out that could possibly take future hardware upgrades.

23. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    As much as I'd like to buy one now, I think it would be a bit silly until HD-DVD is out and we know the score with what formats a prcoessor is going to need.

I would also like it to have HDMI/DVI switching and iLink for SACD.

24. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0