Review of DVDO VP30

JohnWH

Didn't look that detailed, no qualitative comparisons, and when you have comments like,

"The HDMI inputs ate whatever porridge I gave them – from 480p and 576p, to more esoteric formats like 1080i50 and 720p50."

So he wasn't interrest in trying 480i/576i inputs, which would seem logical for native input to a processor?

Four HDMI inputs sounds useful though...

John.

Nic Rhodes

While there is no other product in this price range that will do proper 1080i de-interlacing, complete with video mode and 3:2/2:2 cadence detection,
Not sure about that one:)

Boris Blank

I missed these comments, surprising given the authors input to the device, maybe a case of not seeing the wood for the trees?

There is however a massive thread over at AVS if folks are interested, this will likely cover any missing technical stuff from the review as well as answer most questions I would think. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=568954

Paul

JohnWH

That thread is far to long to drop in and find useful info!

To be honest, its a shame its still using the last generation SiL deinterlacer, particularily given that it seems to be very input rich for its price.

John.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Nic Rhodes said:
While there is no other product in this price range that will do proper 1080i de-interlacing, complete with video mode and 3:2/2:2 cadence detection,
Not sure about that one:)
that is very surprising given the Lumagen HDP was their processor of the year last year and does more with 1080i than the VP30 does. Probably a mistake more than anything, these guys normally do excellent reviews. Although I do find with the reviews the final score out of 100 is nowhere near as useful as reading the individual scoring for each area of performance (otherwise as a customer pointed out to me, the Pioneer 989 scores significantly higher than the Arcam DV79 which is complete nonsense!)

madshi

There are rumous that the VP30 will get an upgrade option soon (don't ask me what "soon" means), which will replace the SIL504 with the latest chip currently in development by ABT.

Boris Blank

JohnWH said:
That thread is far to long to drop in and find useful info!

John.
Perfect reading for these cold long winter nights we're having at the moment I would have thought! :D
Paul

JohnWH

Too busy watching films... and tutting about the deinterlacer in the 989, I really need to sort out a processor!

Boris Blank

Greg Rogers of Widescreen Review just reviewed the VP30 and its up at the WSR website (need to be a member to see it though). This one should be more than detailed enough for you guys :eek:

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom