1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review of brand new Freeview VCR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by eddie_talbot, Nov 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. eddie_talbot

eddie_talbot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an exclusive review of the new VHS VCR that incorporates a Freeview digital TV receiver.

I have included lots of screenshots and even some short video clips showing the functionality of the VCR, which includes the SetPal tuner.

To see the whole review, click the link below :-

Daewoo SetPal idVCR

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK with sub £200 DVD-R and £50 or less stb is this really worth the effort???
    I thought was agreat idea 2 years ago, but now???
    If this is a penny more than £150 retail i think it will have a very short life indeed!!! if it was S-VHS may be but i think daewoo are barking up the wrong tree with this one!!! What is the sudden idea with all these combi units????
    DVD/VCR combis DVD/STB combis???what the fudge!personally i think Humax PVR-8000T has killed this unless it is very cheap! and launch xmas 03 they better get moving on distribution then!!!

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Pace Twin is a much better idea

Vhs is dead so why the life support?

4. eddie_talbot

eddie_talbot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion, VHS is not truly dead until the DVD-recording format war has come to sort of conclusion, one way or the other.

I agree that VHS looks dated by comparison with all the fancy gear out now which members this forum are more likely to be spending oodles of their cash on.

Nevertheless, Daewoo will have cornered a market with this product.

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    War! what war! This one has been done to death, there is no format war. You've obviously been listening to or reading news reports from a magazine that was simply out to get some much needed media coverage. All the present formats will continue to co-exist side be side until the arrival of newer dvd technology. VHS is trying to die a dignified death, however some manufacturers keep trying to revive it in order to extract every last penny from an ill informed public.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    VHS is not dead until no one owns a VHS tape or deck. Whether it is worthwhile investing in VHS at this point is a different matter. Personal;ly i see myself using VHS for 5 years at least but if one of the 3 vhs units in my collection goes down it will stay down. I might buy a top S_VHS deck if they drop to stupidily cheap like £50 just in case i need to do any transfers, but a freeveiw VCR??? I think daewoo are on their own and they will sell units no doubt but how many??? Just to cover development/ marketing/standards costs is huge and FV decoders arent cheap units to build, it also looks like they have done it properly and not just stuffed a 2 scart FV box into a VCR case.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Well it would appear you can actually buy it now.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    That means then that Beta is far from dead

(I have all 3 HiFI decks and the portable)

9. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The only format there should be with recordable dvd at most is re-recordable and write once.

You should be able to buy any dvd recorder and be able to play the disc in any type of relatively new dvd player and be able to record to it on any newish dvd recorder, but I bet this is not always the case e.g. dvd-ram disc even if playable - may not be recordable in all recorders.