Review my plan of attack

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by jayc89, Sep 10, 2012.

1. jayc89

jayc89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just moved into our new house and looking to set up a decent core network. The aim of the game is to get rid of as many cables as poss.

Here's the hardware I currently have;
    Lounge -
    SMART TV
    Sky
    PS3
    NAS
    BT HomeHub

Office -
    Desktop

Bedroom -
    SMART TV
    Sky

What I'm thinking is, with the help of Euro Modular Face Plates (europlate modular wall plates, custom wall plate, custom av wall plate, hdmi wall plate, optical audio wall plate, laptop wall plate, computer wall plate, network wall plate, aerial wall plate, satellite wall plate), hide all the cables either within the walls where possible or trunking if required -

Move the master phone socket into the office behind the corner desk, connect the HomeHub there and its GigE port to one of twin RJ45 sockets going into the loft

From there the uplink will connect to a gig 5 port netgear switch where the 2nd port will go back down into the office for the desktop, 3rd port into the lounge to another 5 port gig switch for TV\Sky\PS3, and 4th port across to the other side of the house to another gig switch for the (1) NAS, (2) AP (poor wifi signal) (3) Bedroom TV (4) Bedroom Sky

Full 1gb network ran using STC CAT6e which should be good for a few years to come and perhaps HDBaseT in a few years time...

What do you all think, can anyone suggest any improvements?

2. biohead

biohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Cat6e cable doesn't exist so be wary if that's what you're buying. It's either cat5, cat5e, cat6 or cat6a.

Personally, I'd try locate the homehub as close to the master as possible and run network cable from there. I suggest this simple because you may lose some speed over the extension wiring if it's standard BT extension cable. It's not really a problem over ADSL, but with VDSL (FTTC) rolling out it may make the difference. Plus if you ever upgrade to fibre, the modem will usually be installed at the phone master anyway, so can connect straight to your network then.

3. jayc89

jayc89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops its been a long day ;) its CAT6, 10/100/1000.

I'll be pulling the master phone socket back through into the office so it will be as near as possible.

4. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
  5. jayc89

jayc89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,710
    I wouldn't bother with cat6 - cat5e is more than good enough for 10/100/1000 ethernet to 100m (and often beyond.)

I also wouldn't bother with STP, partly because the shield needs to earthed to give much benefit and that's more hassle than I can be bothered with, partly 'cos it's harder to install (less bendy,) but mostly because I've run in (or had run in) literally thousands of UTP cables, many through electrically noisey environments such as plant rooms, and I've never had a problem with them.

Poor termination causes (me) most problems with UTP and that can happen with any "Cat" of cable.

7. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Good man !!

Check out the 2 metre cables from Amazon