Review: Luxberg visual Budget screen UK

mcrb10

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently started a thread requesting help purchasing a screen in the UK. After the help of some of the esteemed regulars on this forum they all recommended I do NOT purchase this cheap tab-tensioned screen as my first screen, but at the same time they were interested in me wasting my money on it and learning a lesson. Therefore I did indeed go ahead and spend £270 for the good of the people! Before I came to the forum I had searched high and low for a retractable screen with a low gain in the UK and was struggling to find any, or even any with any reviews to back them up. Enter the Luxberg. I searched the forum for luxberg and a few had asked about them and even purchased them but nobody had answered about them or given feedback. so I decided to send it.

Disclaimer: I am a home cinema noob. I'm techy but this is my first projector (Epson TW9400) and screen. Therefore I cannot compare this product to others as I don't have that experience, please take my review with a pinch of salt. I will post images and videos for you to make your own note.

For any future readers wondering about the Luxberg screen, I bought the 92" grey for £270 because I'm cheap and I thought I might as well try it out. Long story short it does the job and for my need, I am glad I spent £270 on this temporary screen instead of £1000+. it is cheap and made in china. I will be replacing it in the future with a larger fixed premium screen but this was always the plan and nothing to do with my impression of the screen now I have received it.

I am only a few days in so this review may change.. BUT it comes assembled, well packaged and was undamaged (the amazon reviews have been mixed on the damage however have been able to get refunds/replacements.) the screen looks flat and smooth to me however it does have 2 small wavy sections at the bottom left and right corners where the tab tension is not quite strong enough in this area (see images). If I look really closely you can see lines going left to right on the screen, The motor works, it is loud and not the smoothest, I am not confident it will last very long but time will tell, the housing for the control is ugly. The luxberg label peeled off when I unpackaged lol. It smells like a new inflatable swimming pool (I read this in the amazon reviews and it goes away after a week apparently, I actually quite like the smell weirdly) the weighted bar at the bottom of the screen does hang out the bottom of the housing a bit when it's rolled up. I did disassemble it just to have a look at the housing, It's not a complicated machine, If things do go wrong then I can't see it being very hard to fix yourself if you have basic tools and a bit of DIY Nouse.

In conclusion, if you are looking for perfection this is not the screen for you, however, you will need a bigger budget too. If you are looking for a decent cheap starter screen then this may be it. It's a tab-tensioned grey or white screen supposedly with a gain of 0.9 or 1.0 delivered next day in the UK for £270. I am more than happy with my purchase. The picture looks great from my projector, I put a bright light behind it in the pictures to show the light it lets through. If we have a light on we can't see the reflection on the screen and the image is still viewable, it goes up and down and you can decide when it stops, it's 99% tensioned I am planning on fixing this, the housing unit is neat enough and it does the purpose. Be warned from the amazon reviews it is still a gamble whether it comes damaged and I have heard that the tension string breaks. Worked out well for me though. I bought directly from Luxberg visual's website and saved £30 than amazon, they also do a white 92" tab-tensioned screen gain 1.0 for £220.

Hope this is useful for anybody looking, as I would have liked to have found this review.

Product:

Video: My phone throws the contrast of sorry but you can see the wave bottom left and you get the point, also my projector isn't mount yet so my apologies if the image isn't perfect.

Pictures attached:

Original forum post:

Best regards,
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_5860.jpg
    IMG_5860.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_5861.jpg
    IMG_5861.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_5862.jpg
    IMG_5862.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_5863.jpg
    IMG_5863.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_5864.jpg
    IMG_5864.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_5871.jpg
    IMG_5871.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_5872.jpg
    IMG_5872.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_5873.jpg
    IMG_5873.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_5874.jpg
    IMG_5874.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_5877.jpg
    IMG_5877.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_5878.jpg
    IMG_5878.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_5908.jpg
    IMG_5908.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 274
looks nice glad you're happy with it :)

However a tab tensioned screen really shouldn't come out of the box with those severe ripples which are shown on the left side of the image. otherwise whats the point buying one.

At the end of the day it was a quarter of the price of those suggested, and personally its giving me 95% of the objective, therefore its entirely worth it for me and others who aren’t looking to spend thousands on a screen. Each to their own

Update, i actually have just put the screen down for a second time and the ripple wave has disappeared now

Attachments

• 36AEB9C4-8AAF-4E95-A54C-7ACD7F088E7F.jpeg
    36AEB9C4-8AAF-4E95-A54C-7ACD7F088E7F.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 271
The PQ looks absolutely fantastic TBH. What PJ are you rocking? :)

Update, i actually have just put the screen down for a second time and the ripple wave has disappeared now
I was wondering if it would sort itself out after a little use.
Great review and I am pleased that it looks like it will have worked out to be OK for you :)

I was wondering if it would sort itself out after a little use.
Great review and I am pleased that it looks like it will have worked out to be OK for you :)
Thank you very much, i don’t usually post reviews but it’s been fun using the forum, if anything does start to go wrong i will be updating this thread

I am glad this worked out for you, I would say the Amazon reviews are spot on, I got a white electric tab tension screen from these and it turned up in right state, a real big crease at the bottom of the screen, amongst other issues, but to their credit I emailed them photo's and they offered my a discount to keep the screen or a complete refund, I went for the refund so fair play to them, so as you say it might a be a roll of the dice and see if you one of the lucky ones.
Anyways nice review:thumbsup:

I'm potentially going to do the same as you except risk quite a bit more money. The same in so far as I am going to buy a Vividstorm screen from Alibaba in China that even after €400 shipping, €50 Duty and about €300 VAT is added (about €1550) will be a lot cheaper than a screen with similar specs from more recognised names.

I might end up with a fantastic bargain screen for my particular use-case.....or have learned a very expensive lesson!! LOL.

While researching my screen and some complaints thereof, I did read that waves in the tab tensioned screens disappear after a few days most of the time (or a hair dryer can help?). So the fact that your waves in the bottom corners disappeared after a few days is reassuring.

I'm potentially going to do the same as you except risk quite a bit more money. The same in so far as I am going to buy a Vividstorm screen from Alibaba in China that even after €400 shipping, €50 Duty and about €300 VAT is added (about €1550) will be a lot cheaper than a screen with similar specs from more recognised names.

I might end up with a fantastic bargain screen for my particular use-case.....or have learned a very expensive lesson!! LOL.

While researching my screen and some complaints thereof, I did read that waves in the tab tensioned screens disappear after a few days most of the time (or a hair dryer can help?). So the fact that your waves in the bottom corners disappeared after a few days is reassuring.
Blimey good luck! what's life without a bit of risk haha

Blimey good luck! what's life without a bit of risk haha
Hi.
I have one of these screens, I'm happy with it but I haven't figured out how to adjust the drop limit for it. Can you explain how it is done? (assuming it's possible 🙏).
Thanks
TD

It's ok, I found the adjustment screws.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom