1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review for Panasonic GX7

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by eddie95, Jan 3, 2003.

1. eddie95

eddie95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've searched google numerous times in the past few weeks hoping that somewhere a review for the GX7 will be put up. I've had no luck. Why is this popular camcorder not been reviewed? The Gs5 has a few reviews so why not the GX7?

2. umpf75

umpf75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the same, so if you find one please let me know.

Trying to choose between the pana NVGX7, the Sony TRV25 and the JVC 3000

3. eddie95

eddie95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, im stuck with the GX7 and jvc3000...i would struggle to pay for the dv3000 though and im not sure if i want to bother paying it off for so long. it may not be much better anyway. Looks great and stylish and professional though, and in my opinion it is probably the best 1ccder. Nevermind the flamin trv50. Too expensive, its not that good.
    I think im getting the GX7 then. I'll do a review on it and if I dont like it i'll probably send it back and lend the extra money for the jvc.

4. umpf75

umpf75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is a difficult one. There is about £140 difference (pricing from rgbdirect) I am not sure if it is worth it. (JVC being more)

Perhaps some one out there can help explain any quality differences that may help with the decision.

JVC use 540 line and Panasonic claim 780K pixels for motion and 1230K for stills. Which is better?

I am not too sure if the JVC has Mic input. Some specs say yes some say no and I have only been able to see a JVC DV 1800 to get an idea of the size and fell of the camera as I believe they are the same body. - which does not help I know but I can't find any one who stocks the DV3000 locally.

5. eddie95

eddie95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think you would be able to notice any difference in picture quality, except for in low light conditions where the JVC would handle it slightly better and produce less grain. The JVC looks more professional but is literally about twice the size of the GX7. And the JVC has 3 wide screen modes...whereas the panny just has the one, bad mode of putting black bars at the top and bottom.
    I'm not sure about the mic input either. I think there is one though. Couldnt bet on it but it seems unrealistically stupid to leave something so obvious out on a top end camcorder.
    The money is one thing I keep forgetting. Is it really worth paying an extra £140 when there is no real performance difference?
    And theres a bit of an advantage with the panasonic - its got a flash light so it will be better with stills. And panasonic are more reliable with pc connection and their support is better...very solid too, I dont think it will break on you for a few years.
    The GX7 looks to me to be a work of art. shiny metal body. Big lecia lens too. And if you really want to stick its lame-but impressive-sounding- to- the-newbie features in, its got bluetooth adaptability and a 1lux (so cant actually use it in total darkness) colour slow shutter night shot. I dont think the jvc has that. Also, going for the JVC you'd risk having no mic. input! And the big screen is not that high res and will drain the battery a lot. Firewire port is behind the lcd too which ive always thought is a bit annoying. As you can see, theres many annoying things about it and its £140 more than the GX7!!
    So guess what cam I'm going to get myself and save £140 ? ;)

6. umpf75

umpf75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eddie95, I think you are right and you may just have helped me make up my mind. You have obviously done your research!!

There is no mic on the JVC unless you get the jvc mic to go on the hot shoe and I have just been talking to a friend who says he would like a radio mic in certain situations and that would not be posible with JVC.

The connections on the GX7 are all together on the front or near the strap and you don't have to open the LCD. It is also top loading whereas the JVC is bottom loading and I can see that being a bit annoying as well esp. with a tripod.

Not to bothered about blue tooth, but the JVC does not have it as far as I can see.

Just one question. I have read in another posting that the image stabaliser is not too hot on the panny, any thoughts?

7. eddie95

eddie95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, image stabiliser has never been panny's strong point, and unfortunately on the GX7, the stabilization goes off when you're zooming in and out. But who needs stabilisation anyway? Even good stabilisation doesnt compeltely room any shakes. I leave stabilisation off anyway as it free's up more pixels so more light can get in, giving you less grain in low light conditions. The stabilisation adds artifacts to your image too when its trying to eliminate the shakes. So its best just leaving it well alone.

8. umpf75

umpf75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback. Is this the case in reality with all of the image stabilisers or do some genuinely work well?

9. simonph

simonph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion 'Electronic' image stabilisers are the way forward for me. What Camcorder? are quoted as saying that 'any camcorder worth their salt should have electronic stabilisers on'
    Panasonic use 'Digital' stabilisers which, for such a small cam, is inadequate (in my opinion.) I thought I had found the perfect cam with the GX7 and by and large its great apart from this.
    I've found that Sony and Canon both regularly use 'Electronic' stabilisers and I'm now looking at buying one of them.

10. eddie95

eddie95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I guess its just me then who doesnt really give one when it comes to stabiliser. Perhaps I just have a very steady hand anyway :)
    My panny MX7 was pretty bad with stabiliser too. The sony pc101 ive just sent back had a great stabiliser though. Worked perfectly. I cant see how an optical stabliser could do any better (found on the canon mvx2i IIRC). So I guess its just Sony and Canon that rule with the stabiliser.
    But stabiliser is not on my list of what to look for in a camcorder, so I'm confident I'll be pleased with the GX7, if it ever arrives. ;)

The best way to get steady shots is to put the shoulder strap on and hold the cam away from you as far as you can (adjust the shoulder strap depending on how far away from yourself you want the cam to be) so you're putting strain on the strap attached to you. This produces perfectly steady shots! Unfortunately some pocket cams come without the shoulder strap, as theres nowhere to attach one, but atleast my pc101 without the shoulder strap came with a very good stabliser.

11. simonph

simonph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi eddie,
    Can you tell me why you sent the PC101 back?
    cheers

12. eddie95

eddie95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was not worth its price basically. casing was very cheap and i didnt like touch screen. it got the screen full of finger prints so i had to clean it all the time. looked like a low res. screen too. Not many accessories in the box and ...well... I did a review on it so just click the link and read my review. Its a good cam, great quality recordings, but I just think there are cheaper alternatives that I'll probably like better, like the GX7.
    If you want the cheapest pocket cam with all the features, though, get the pc101.

http://www.eddie95.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pc101_review.htm

a shorter version can be found on www.simplydv.co.uk

HTH

13. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    eddie95,

Good review that.
    Have you still got a Panasonic NVMX7B, if so how does it compare with NVGX7B in other ways, say general PQ, low light performance, is it still comparable ?

14. eddie95

eddie95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I no longer have the MX7, and my GX7 hasnt been delivered yet.
    So sorry I cant help, I'm camcorder-less ! :(
    Gx7 will arrive tomorrow if I'm lucky. I'll have a review on it soon then.
    Thanks for your kind comments on my pc101 review

15. umpf75

umpf75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have taken the plunge, decided that I could not wait for the shop to get the JVC 3000 in and having weighed up the option of no mic socket on the JVC and the bottom loading and the £140 extra decided to go for the GX7.

Only really just picked it up so not much of a play yet, but have been sitting in the lounge with the dimmer on the lights very low and seeing how it copes. Not too bad at all, but I will say that I am a novice, this is my first camcorder and so,although I have borrowed a friends which was quite old, I have nothing other than this to compare it against.

I will certainly put it through it paces in the next few weeks and give you some feed back.

Eddie, Hopes yours arrives tomorrow for you. Would be interested to hear your first impressions, especially ref the image stabiliser which I have not yet been able to test and which I have not got too much to compare against (being a novice).

I already love the DV in though and have discovered that had the camera that I borrowed had dv in, my live would have been so much easier. I can now re-record the video I edited for them at max quality. They are going to love it. They were very pleased any way even though I had to come up with a work around to get the movie back out on to tape.

So I will catch up with you all later when I will be able to pass comment on my new toy!!

16. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    eddie95,

17. eddie95

eddie95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Argh!! The GX7 was supposed to come today, so I told my mum to stay in and wait for it (I was in school, I'm 16 btw.)

She waited till 11:30am and then went out. then a note had been posted through the door when she got back saying that they came at 12 noon and noone opened the door. And they'll deliver again on Monday. Uuurrgh....I'm really annoyed cause I was dying to mess around with it all weekend and test everything on it.

I'm taking the day of school on Monday though, so i'll be there to open the door to the delivery people. Unfortunately I've gotta go make a website for somebody at 4pm, so I wont have much time to get familiar with it, let alone review it! :(

p.s. I've seen sample pics from the GX7 in low light and it looked far better than the low light pics from the ds30.