Niloticus1

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently "upgraded" to Sky Q. I'm still in the cooling off period. I hate the Sky Q interface and, more importantly, so does SWMBO....

The whole upgrade experience has been a nightmare with contradictory info being given at every turn and nothing in writing when I've asked for confirmation of discussions with customer services.

I've asked to cancel the Sky Q and revert to the old box. Sky have flatly refused to do so without cancelling the entire subscription. I can't revert to the old box/package.

I'm at the end of my tether. I don't want to completely lose Sky but they seem to be trying to force me down that road.

My view is that exercising my right of return in the cooling off period would be to revert to the original package rather than lose the service entirely.

Has anybody experienced the same issue?

Any advice gratefully received.

That's outrageous that they won't revert you back to your old setup. I'm sure that's always been given as an option in the past. Something must have changed if they're flat out refusing.
Do you still have your old box? I'm sure I remember reading a post from a chap on the Sky forums who was in a similar situation - he got Q installed, hated it, Sky refused to swap it back so he simply took the Q box out, put his old box back in, changed the LNB on the dish back to how it was and used the viewing card from the Q box to carry on viewing on the old box, without having to change the package.
He had to send the Q box back to Sky, but the channel package he was paying for was perfectly viewable on the old Sky+HD box. He couldn't get Netflix or UHD obviously but everything else was fine.
Maybe you could try asking for similar? If you don't have the old box you can get hold of them quite cheaply on eBay.

That's what I was wondering. I do have the old box as I own it outright. Not sure about swapping over the LNB, they took the old one unfortunately, so I'd need to get an indie sat guy out (I do know of a decent one locally).

If it will definitely work it's worth the expense to be able to stick two fingers up at them....

Very poor from Sky, it just illustrates their determination to migrate as many people as they can onto a Q package. I would be very tempted to follow the advice above and reinstate the old LNB and HD box.
Sky Q is far from what it's cracked up to be, it's not even user friendly which is supposed to be one of it's great benefits. It's just a dumbed down, lowest common denominator heap of cheap junk in a skirt. I only keep it for 4K sport.

That's what I was wondering. I do have the old box as I own it outright. Not sure about swapping over the LNB, they took the old one unfortunately, so I'd need to get an indie sat guy out (I do know of a decent one locally).

If it will definitely work it's worth the expense to be able to stick two fingers up at them....
If your dish is fairly easy to access and you have a sturdy ladder you could try swapping the LNB yourself. You can pick up Sky HD compatible ones from Amazon for less than £15. I swapped one myself a few years ago when some scaffolders broke the old one and I couldn't wait for Sky to come and replace it. It was a simple swap over and I didn't need to re-align anything, just slot it into place, screw on the two cables and bingo.
You could try it just to see if your viewing card can be paired to the old HD box. If it doesn't work you can still then return the LNB to Amazon - their returns process is very easy.

We went through this with sky during the nightmare of a Q install. We insisted on a hybrid lnb so we could swap bank if we did nott like q.
( And I can assure you we do not like Q when compared to sky plus. As said above we only stick with it for uhd sports and even that is questionable due to the irritation of crowd effects. )

sly claimed they did not have any equipment to allow for sky plus contracts. So we could not continue with another sky plus contract. I told them I don’t care about your lack of equipment I have the sky plus box here. It just needs plugging in if do t like q. To which they had no reply.

I have yet to try the sky plus box with the curenent set up. As we would obviously loose the mini boxes as well. Not sure if the q card would work in the plus box, but if it doesn’t, just put q back in place.... no?

Ps the agree, the q interface is a disgrace

I went from Sky HD to Sky Q over three years ago now and it was the best move I have ever made. Sky Q does at first appear difficult but after a few days I would never go back. It is also very reliable.

I went from Sky HD to Sky Q over three years ago now and it was the best move I have ever made. Sky Q does at first appear difficult but after a few days I would never go back. It is also very reliable.
I think you need to broaden your horizons in life a little.

Agree,we were an early adopter of SkyQ, but had zero issues adapting, and as far as I am concerned they've improved the product over the years. I don't think my horizons require any broadening either.

Currently planning on reverting back to sky hd box from sky q, does anyone know if the ordinary sky q remote works with the sky hd box? I know it's a long shot 🤷‍♀️

Currently planning on reverting back to sky hd box from sky q, does anyone know if the ordinary sky q remote works with the sky hd box? I know it's a long shot 🤷‍♀️
The Q remote remains the property of Sky, along with the Q box itself, and must be returned to Sky when you end the Q contract.

The Q remote remains the property of Sky, along with the Q box itself, and must be returned to Sky when you end the Q contract.
This is our remote that we acquired from a family member who bought it so it's not getting sent back, we are sending back the remote that came with our box

You may have to replace the LNB.

This is our remote that we acquired from a family member who bought it so it's not getting sent back, we are sending back the remote that came with our box
Ah, right. The newer voice control Sky Q remote is Bluetooth so won’t control Sky+HD. The older Sky Q remotes have infra red but as far as I know they still won’t control Sky+HD. You’d be better selling it on eBay and buying a new +HD remote to get full compatibility.

Have Sky agreed to this? They've recently revised their policy on reversions - it's now pretty much only allowed when Q cannot work for technical reasons (usually because of a communal system) or accessibility issues.

If you're wanting to revert because you don't get on with Q, rather than a technical fault, you may well find they will only offer a cancellation now.

Have you replaced the LNB?
No, I've tried the old box with the current cabling and it worked ok

Edit - I cancelled Sky because I just don't watch/use it enough to justify the cost (the offers when I phoned to cancel were not that great, £2 off) I've signed up for a Now TV subscription which is fine for me

Last edited:
Sky Q officially replaced HD at the end of 2016. While they said they would support HD for the forseeable future there is bound to be a cutoff date. If you log a fault with HD they will string it out to get you to move to Q.

We went through this with sky during the nightmare of a Q install. We insisted on a hybrid lnb so we could swap bank if we did nott like q.
( And I can assure you we do not like Q when compared to sky plus. As said above we only stick with it for uhd sports and even that is questionable due to the irritation of crowd effects. )

sly claimed they did not have any equipment to allow for sky plus contracts. So we could not continue with another sky plus contract. I told them I don’t care about your lack of equipment I have the sky plus box here. It just needs plugging in if do t like q. To which they had no reply.

I have yet to try the sky plus box with the curenent set up. As we would obviously loose the mini boxes as well. Not sure if the q card would work in the plus box, but if it doesn’t, just put q back in place.... no?

Ps the agree, the q interface is a disgrace
Im waiting on a Q unstallation in Mid May and had the Q viewing card sent weeks ago and ut said not to use it until the engineers arrived but I took out a months Premier Sports and the current card number wasnt accepted so I entered the new card number then put ut in the HD+ BOX and it worked ...the box recognised it was a new card and initialised it.
Also if you are buying a s/h HD+ Box remember late boxes have no RF2 OUTLET for using coaxial/ Magic Eye to a second TV but you can buy an alternative which plugs in to the i/o on the box and it has an RF Outlet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210418-020709.png
    Screenshot_20210418-020709.png
    481.3 KB · Views: 223

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom